September 2011 Moms

Gender Rules Discussion (XP on FB)

Can we talk about "gender roles" for a sec? I have no problem dressing Esme in "boy" clothes. We got a lot of hand-me-downs from our nephew and I have a tiny obsession with dinosaurs, which all happen to be "boy" clothes. Jacob, on the other hand has a huge problem with it. If her comes home from work and she has "boy" clothes on, he will either change her *or* when she starts crying he says, "aww...w you're crying because Momma put you in boy clothes!" Even more irritating was we got a coupon for a free bodysuit from Old Navy. We went last night and I really wanted a red plaid one that reminded me of my uncles. He would absolutely not allow it. I'll admit it was more on the masculine side, but it wasn't like it said, "Little Man" or anything like that (I'll post a link). *Then* there was a red and white polar bear outfit, also boyish and he vetoed that. Don't get me wrong, Esme has plenty of frilly outfits, but I don't see the point of limiting her to those. Anyone else have a SO like this? Anyone like this? Am I cray cray?

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/
product.do?cid=54061&vid=1&pid=857710&scid=857710122
https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/
product.do?cid=54061&vid=1&pid=876865&scid=876865002

Photobucket
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wedding Anniversary: August 7th 2010 BFP: December 22nd 2010 Beautiful Little Birthday: August 30th 2011

BLOG.

Re: Gender Rules Discussion (XP on FB)

• we have a lot of "boyish" onesies for our baby that we got before we found out what we were having... I see no problem with her wearing them.

maybe you could put a bow or something on her head when she wears a boyish outfit (to make your H happy)

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• i dont see anything wrong with it, but i'd probably still try to girly them up to keep from having to correct people all the time just because that gets old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I buy girl clothes,  but also check out the boy section. I bought a cute Carter's boy hoodie outfit, it's just grey, with stars. 

Luckily DH doesn't care either way.

Why does a little girl have to dress frilly all the time! She needs options.  

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think both of the items you linked to are perfectly fine for a little girl.
  • Smeh, I like putting DD in DS's hand me downs :)  I usually add a small hairband or bow to her head just so people know she is a girl if we are out, but otherwise neither DH or I could care less.

Maybe DH is just really excited about having a little girl!

• imageTheFannins729:
    i dont see anything wrong with it, but i'd probably still try to girly them up to keep from having to correct people all the time just because that gets old.

This.

Though that doesn't always work either.  I had doofuses ask me if Sarah was a boy in her EASTER dress and when she was in pink with a bow in her hair...

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • I wouldn't say my DH is the opposite of yours OP because he likes the little pink girly stuff, but the first thing he bought Makayla was a camo hat, bib and booties...I'll be adding a flower to the hat. I don't think there is anything wrong with girls wearing boyish clothes. Like someone else said maybe he is just excited to have a little girl.

• I personally don't have a problem with it but when DD was born I just couldn't resist the little dresses and such so she was always "girlie".  On the other hand, when DS#1 was born, I ran out of sleepers one day and dug out an old pink bunny one to put on him.  DH was not amused when he came home...I just don't get it.  I was just being practical.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"