2nd Trimester

Coed Baby Shower

Has anyone had or been to a coed shower? What was it like? Did you play games? Did the guys stay in the room while you opened gifts or do their own thing? Did you like having a coed shower, or was it awkward?

My best friend is throwing me a shower, and we were discussing making it coed. Around here, it's really common for the dad to have a diaper party, and all of our good friends have had one. My friend and her husband were planning to throw both a shower and a diaper party for us, and I thought it might be easier if we just did one coed shower. Plus, we'd be inviting a handful of DH's female coworkers to the shower (there are two or three that I'm close to) and some of the males to the diaper party, so we figured if we combined the two, they'd all be more likely to know other people at the party. My friend and I have never gone to a coed shower, so we were both kind of wondering how they typically worked.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Coed Baby Shower

• Mine will be coed. One of my best friends in the world is a guy and I want him there. I'm requesting no games because I hate shower games with a passion. The whole thing will probably be more like a fun lunch thing than a typical shower.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think it sounds like fun! I wouldn't do it only because DH would probably be bored and has no friends that would go because they live far away. But if I had a good crowd of people I think it could be awesome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I just went to a co-ed shower. Most of the time was spent eating and socializing. After a while the guys all ended up on the porch talking and drinking(just some beers). Some came in to watch presents be opened, others didn't. There was only a couple of games; guess how much candy was in the jar, guess how big moms belly is, a word scramble game, and a beer drinking game. They put beer in bottles and whoever finished first won, anyone could do it but it was mostly guys and it turned out to be much harder than they thought.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  

Mine will not be coed, but DH and I have been to a coed shower before. They just did lunch and opened gifts. They also had a lot of kids there; to me it kind of seemed more like a big family party then anything with a few close friends. We are not having mine coed because DH doesn't want to and we both know none of the guys we know will come.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  •  Thanks, ladies! I'm pretty sure that the guys who would go to the diaper party would also go to a coed shower, so I think it would work.

imageKatelynEA90:
    They put beer in bottles and whoever finished first won, anyone could do it but it was mostly guys and it turned out to be much harder than they thought.

I kind of love this idea! I'll have to tell my friend about it. 

• I have been to many coed showers and they are all very fun. I have been to some where the guys basically have a separate party at the same time, in the same house. And others where the guys are totally involved. Yes, if there are any games at all, they are normally geared towards the guys... so they don't hate it too much. You can do really fun games that the guys will laugh at and think are really fun too.

BabyFruit Ticker, Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We plan on doing a coed as well.  I think some games would be fun if we did coed, and we plan on doing non traditional baby shower games.  Most of the people we are close to are couples and I would like them all to feel invited to come celebrate our little one.  My hubby wants to participate and I think coed is a great idea to include him in the fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I went to one, it was a lot of fun and very mellow. There were games for the guys and then games for both.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have been to one, it was a lot of fun.  My favorite game as about " breaking the water".  Everyone goes outside. Girls line up on one side, guys on the other and everyone is paired up.  The guys takes a water balloon and carry it in their teeth over to the girl.  He places it between her legs (no hands!) and she must walk back to where he started with the balloon between her legs and not " break her water".   Who ever is fastest, wins. It was a lot of fun.

As for me though, no coed shower. DH wouldn't want to. :)

• I've been to 2 co-ed showers and much prefer them to all-female showers (I have more male than female friends).  There were some games, but generally I liked the more free-flowing shower of the two I had attended.  If I remember correctly, all were present for the gift openings, too.

We will be having a co-ed bash in the next few months - wouldn't have it any other way!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I've not personally attended one but I LOVE this idea.  My husband and I had a stag and doe together rather than bachelor and bachelorette parties.  We share many of the same friends and have a higher percentage of male than female.  Now I'm just trying to figure out how to playfully drop this notion to the person who is (martyr like) expecting to "have to throw" my shower...
  • My sister had a coed shower, and I plan to as well.  We are not much for games, so left those out completely.  We also have a "no wrapping" policy.  When the guests arrive, they put a sticker on their gift with their names on it, then place it in the front of the room with the other gifts.  People can stroll by an look at everything.  As I expect our shower to be fairly large (close to 100 ppl, half of which is family) it would take forever to open gifts, and this way the time can be spent eating and visiting with friends and family.
  • My good friend had a coed shower and it was really fun. There was about 100 people there, a keg, lots of food. We played games too! But I think it focused too much on the party aspect and not so much on the mom and baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine was co-ed.  I have lots of guy friends and guys in my family that actually wanted to be involved.  DH, my brother, BIL, my dad, and then a bunch of guy friends.  Most of the look at it this way, they get a free meal and some drinks and cake :)

Most of the guys sat with their wives or other (girl) friends from our circle.  My best friend is a guy and he got me the most thoughtful baby gift of all.

My mom is very traditional and didn't like it and made her opinion known, but my sisters threw the party and I supplied the list with both men and women on it.  I hate games, so we didn't do any games, it was mostly eat, chat, look at gifts etc.  Plus, bonus, the guys are there to haul all the gifts to the car. 

Have fun when you do have your shower!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The co-ed showers i've been to are similar to what others have said. More like a lunch/ party than a shower. I personally despise baby shower games, but the beer from a bottle one sounds pretty funny.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm having a Co-ed shower this wknd and I know it's gonna be great! It won't be that much different than a regular party except that there will be 3 short games/1 game for the men and while DH and I are opening gifts, there will a poker game ($10 cash buy in, winner take all) going on for anyone who doesn't want to sit there and watch us, lol!
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"