Georgia Babies

Favorite vacation spots outside atl? (on a budget)

My in-laws are coming from out of the country to meet their new grandson over Christmas break.  We are very happy that they're able to come!  We're just coming out of pretty tight financial straits-- I just finished school and am staying home with LO until he's a few months old before starting work again, and my husband just started a new job a few weeks ago.  We are living with my mom for the time being.

While my ILs are here, we hope to be able to go away for a week or so for a mini-vacation with them-- not anywhere very far outside Atlanta, (we were thinking maybe Asheville or n. Ga. mountains), but the main point would be to give my mom a break from guests at her house and also show them around a little bit.  Since we don't have much of a vacation budget, it can't be anything luxurious.  I wondered if any of you had taken family vacations not too far from Atlanta that were fun and a good bargain?

TIA :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Favorite vacation spots outside atl? (on a budget)

• a co-worker just rented a house in Savannah and raved about how inexpensive and nice it was. They had a great trip and stayed closed to downtown. 

• We stay at Blue Ridge Cabin Rentals (google) in Helen.  It's about an hour and a half from us.  It's awesome.  You can get a 2 bedroom cabin at a pretty reasonable rate.  You feel like you're in another state.  It's just gorgeous mountain scenery, hot tub, etc.  I wish I were there now......
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesusangilchrist:
    We stay at Blue Ridge Cabin Rentals (google) in Helen.  It's about an hour and a half from us.  It's awesome.  You can get a 2 bedroom cabin at a pretty reasonable rate.  You feel like you're in another state.  It's just gorgeous mountain scenery, hot tub, etc.  I wish I were there now......

Ditto this.  We go  few times a year (once in spring,  at least once in the fall/ winter).  It's gorgeous up there.  Close to downtown Helen, which is hokey but can be fun.  Right in Unicoi State Park with trails, fishing, and the falls.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• asheville, savannah, and blue ridge/ellijay are all fun spots that can be done on a budget (i would esp. savannah since it would be off season). we use sliding rock cabins for our north georgia cabin rentals - they are really lovely cabins with hot tubs and a lot of privacy....https://www.slidingrockcabins.com/
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks a lot, ladies- I had thought of some of these destinations but it is so helpful to have some specific info to start looking.
  • I vote Savannah :)
  • my first recommendations would also be Savannah and Tybee Island but Blue Ridge, and Helen are great too.

We also LOVE Cape San Blas on FL gulf but it's a bit longer of a drive, 6+ hours. www.vrbo.com is great.

Happy Wife and Mommy to an 9 year old girl and baby boy born April 2012. In Atlanta; Join us for a playdate, check the calendar at www.AtlantaAreaMommies.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"