Adoption
Options

Dumb comment by co-worker

I am usually a lurker, but I am stepping out of the shadows to vent. Let me preface this by saying that I understand that people that have never been through the adoption process often are at a loss for what to say to  us. 

So, we have been waiting for 4 months. A co-worker asked me today how things are going. I told her we still have not been matched. She said, "Well, at least you still have a job."     WTF??? 

The waste in life lies in the love we have not given, the powers we have not used and the selfish prudence that will risk nothing; and which shirking pain, misses happiness as well. Mary Cholmondeley

Re: Dumb comment by co-worker

• Options
    people are so wierd
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i'm sorry you had to hear that.  people just need to be educated.

After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

People are so dumb. I was looking for multivitamins at a local health food store, and the lady was gonig on and on about how I needed a certain kind post-partum. I said, "Oh, no I don't. We adopted her." She said, "Oh, how old was she?" "2 days old when she came home with us."

Her response? "Oh, so she's practically yours."

Indifferent

• Options

Beaureve and Dr.  L -- I just can't believe the things that come out of people's mouths.

We met a relative of dd's babysittter the other day is who is doing fostering.  When we found out, we explained that we had adopted Zoe.  She said something like, "Oh, I thought she was yours."  I know she meant biological child, but still....that kind of comment hurts.  And it's odd coming from a woman who must have gone through some kind of training to do fostering.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree; sometimes the people who seem the most sympathetic come out with the worst.

The notary I used the other day was asking about our adoption.  I explained that we were trying to adopt a child that was in M's orphanage.  She smiled and mentioned how great that is and then asked, "So, other than your adopted son, do you have any, you know, of your own children?" {emphasis all hers}  I couldn't help myself, and responded with a smile, "My adopted son is my own, and he is my only child."  She then preceded to explain to me that she and her husband suffered five losses, and had considered adopting, but since she was already 45 at the time (she is probably in her mid-60's now), they decided against it.  I just smiled.  I understand she meant it all well, but it always bothers me to hear.  That's exactly the kind of question I don't need asked around M (luckily, he wasn't with me).

• Options
    Sounds like we all have had our share of insensitive comments Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is nice to know I am not alone 
    The waste in life lies in the love we have not given, the powers we have not used and the selfish prudence that will risk nothing; and which shirking pain, misses happiness as well. Mary Cholmondeley
  • Options
    I had a lady at church who is adopting ask me if I knew how much I cost. I told her yes would she like to see my bill of sale and title?
  • Options
    People just say stupid things, don't they? I had one person ask me if DH and I aren't having biological children because I don't want to lose my figure. I told DH who stated the next time someone says something like this to say 'No, actually, my DH doesn't want to lose HIS figure!'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"