Baby Names
Options

Caroline - too old sounding?

I looove the name Caroline... but DH is worried she'll be called "Carol" and the name is too old sounding.

What do you think??

I don't know what I'm having yet, but if its a girl, I would love "Caroline" with a "sweet Caroline" theme and do the nursery in sweets!   :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Caroline - too old sounding?

• Options
    I think Cara or Care are more likely nicknames for Caroline than Carol is.  It's really pretty, I like it! 
  • Options
    I like Caroline. I don't think it sounds too old and I think Carrie is the most intuitive NN. I would never think to call a Caroline Carol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Caroline, it was our girl name pick. I'm from the south and Caroline is popular, I have never heard anyone shorten it to carol so I wouldn't worry about that. It's a beautiful, classic name that ages well. Thumbs up from me.
  • Options

I love Caroline!  I always wonder what I would use as a nickname.  I really just like the whole name, to be honest.  Sometimes I think I would call her "Lynnie," but that doesn't totally fit with the actual name.  I don't like Carolyn as much as I like Caroline. 

I think it is a sweet name, and I don't think it's too old.  I also have a best friend named Carole, and it never seemed like an odd or "adult" name when we were kids.

• Options
    I have a good friend named Caroline.  She was the only Caroline I ever knew growing up, but now it seems to becoming fairly popular as a baby name.  She always went by Caroline until end of high school/college when we jokingly gave her the nn Carol.  I don't know why everyone though it was amusing to call her Carol, but she embraced it and answer to either Carol or Caroline.  Love the name!
  • Options

I love Caroline. I've never heard Carol as a nickname for Caroline.

Sorry to be negative about this, but "sweet Caroline" totally creeps me out, knowing that Neil Diamond wrote that song about 12-year-old Caroline Kennedy. Yikes.

First birth: Natural (med-free) Second birth: Hell, no. Epidural all the way. Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love Caroline, and I wouldn't think to call her Carol.  I think Carrie is the most likely nickname you would get.
  • Options
    imageelainej:

I love Caroline. I've never heard Carol as a nickname for Caroline.

Sorry to be negative about this, but "sweet Caroline" totally creeps me out, knowing that Neil Diamond wrote that song about 12-year-old Caroline Kennedy. Yikes.

haha... I actually never knew the origin of that song! DH & I just loooove Sweet Caroline because we're Red Sox fans and its the team song... might sound cheesy, but its like "our thing".... sucks that its Caroline Kennedy's too. haha

• Options
    Between friends and family, we know a 3 yr old and 8 yr old Caroline and it suits both of them well.  Both are called Caroline.
  • Options
    Caroline is beautiful.  The only Carols I know were NOT short for Caroline.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I personally think it's too old sounding, but, I tend to like the newer names. I love Carrie though and Cara.

Carol...yuck

TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
    DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

• Options
    Love love love the name. I agree with pp that you can NN her cara. The name isn't too "old" sounding. Its timeless and classic... that is a good thing! You don't want her to have a trendy name where people will know exactly when she is born. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's a pretty name, and it is not too old sounding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's a classic beautiful name....timeless.
  • Options

A friend has a daughter (now an adult) named Caroline.  And when they used a nickname for her, they called her Liney (lie-knee) which was cute. But they mostly just called her Caroline.

Missing our little turkey.
    Estimated Due Date 11/13/12 | Natural Miscarriage 4/17/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Love it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just added this to our list.  I don't think it's old sounding at all - it's classic and timeless.  I wouldn't think to call her Carol, maybe Carrie or Cara.
  • Options
    imageTishaPayne:

A friend has a daughter (now an adult) named Caroline.  And when they used a nickname for her, they called her Liney (lie-knee) which was cute. But they mostly just called her Caroline.

DD is Caroline and this is what we do. Originally I thought of calling her Cara or Callie, but Caroline fits her so well. All of our friends call her Sweet Caroline. I call her Liney when we are playing/singing and she always laughs. FWIW, we are always getting compliments for picking such a beautiful and classic name. I glad that we didn't go trendy. 

• Options

Not at all...it's a beautiful, classic name. It was good enough for Jackie-O's daughter and Princess Grace so that says something:)

My name is Caroline and I have never been called Carol....not once-ever. I love the nursery theme btw:)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes Love the name Caroline!

• Options

Great name

NNs only if the parents allow it.

Friend's DD name CarolinA(which I like better) and she will not allow anyone to call her anything but Carolina

Me(30) DH(36) TTC #1 since October 2011 <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • Options
    Love Caroline.  And the only one I know goes by Carrie as a nickname.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love Caroline.  I know 2 Carolines...one is 8 and the other is 5.  Neither are called anything but Caroline.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Caroline is a beautiful and strong name. I'm from the deep South, and it is very common here, so no one associates it with being an "old" sounding name. Good Luck!.... "Good times never seemed so good, so good, so GOOD, SO GOOD!!" 
  • Options
    I call my Caroline, Cara or Care Bear. When my husband picked Caroline I said absolutely no to the nicknames Carol or Carrie.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • Options
    One of my friends has a 12-year-old named Caroline.  As far as I know, she has never had it shortened to Carol.  And it fit's her beautifully.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Wow!!!  Thanks ladies!!!  I love the name too! I think its definitely my top-runner for a girl name.  I always try to picture myself saying "Caroline, did you remember your homework?" and "Caroline, eat your vegetables!" haha... I think it sounds great!!!  :-)
  • Options
    I like Caroline, the only girl I ever met called that didnt have a nn
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"