VBAC
Options

Anyone had a VBAC meds-free?

My doctor told me I can have a VBAC, and I'm hoping to go meds-free.  Has anyone or do you know anyone who has done this?  I had a c-section with my son, and the anesthesia left my right big toe tingly.  It's not a big deal, but it hurt me for a while after I had my son.

TIA. 

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone had a VBAC meds-free?

• Options
    Yep, I did and I kind of get the impression that a good majority of women on this board did as well. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did as well. Do you have some specific questions? GL to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did and am planning on having another med-free Vbac next month-

If you have questions let us know. I didn't do it to get a medal or brag that I didn't get the epi but b/c I felt like I would have a better chance at a succesful VBAC if I was able to walk, move, change positions etc... I think once you get the epi are are stuck in bed you're options become MUCH more limited if your dr's/midwifes feel you're not progressing or baby isn't responding well (i,e hb decels, etc) off you to for a c-section, whereas w/o the epi there are lots of things you can do if labor stalls, or baby's in a wierd position, pushing is easier when not flat on your back etc...

No meds= less interventions

less interventions = higher likelyhood of deliverying vaginally

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options

I made it a lot longer with DS before getting the epi than I did with DD, but I still got it.  I got it at 3CM with DD, during a pit induction, and between 7 and 8 cm with DS.  I think the epi actually helped me with him, though, because my body wasn't fighting the contractions any more.  Within an hour I was nearly complete and +2.  I stalled out with DD at 6cm so getting past that point was my only goal as far as getting the epi goes.  It probably did affect how long I had to push, though (3 hours).  It was a very well placed epi in that I could still feel a lot of pressure in my bottom and I could feel where I needed to push, but I couldn't get into a different position beyond turning onto my side.

I may attempt no meds if/when we have a third (I'd like 3 kids) if I go into spontaneous labor again, but I'm not sure.  I give you ladies a lot of credit. 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options

My VBAC was med-free.  I wanted to avoid an epidural so that I could move around freely--I hoped that would help my baby get into the best position and allow me to push in positions that maximized the size of my pelvis.  My first labor was a long painful induction, so while my med-free birth was no walk in the park, it actually was easier than my first.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thank you ladies for your replies!  I feel good to know that it's possible!  I know someone who had complications from epidural, and I know it's rare, but I'm worried it might happen to me.  Also, my sister had her 2 kids completely med-free, and she is like, "so?"  

Do childbirth classes help?  I couldn't go with my first because I was on bedrest.  Is it worth going? 

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

• Options

I had a hospital waterbirth VBAC (we lived in Colorado at the time) and only requested a little Nubain in early labor due to a pulled back muscle and horrendous spasms.  The contractions were actually so much easier to get through than my back pain!  Other than that, my VBAC was med-free.  I agree with PPs that several ladies on this board have also had med-free VBACs Yes  You could also ask the Natural Birth board for some tips if you're inclined.  They were very helpful, as were the wonderful ladies on this board when I was nearing my VBAC Smile  GL!

FWIW, I highly recommend you seek out a doula for labor support in addition to your DH/SO.  I also saw a chiropractor and an acupuncturist for the last few weeks, and I firmly believe these helped me during labor.  Just my two cents... 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options

I did not have any pain meds.  I was induced with pitocin.

I also did it to give me the best chance of a vbac, especially since I was being induced.  I did not take childbirth classes, but I did hire a doula which I highly recommend.  My doula was out of town on my induction date (I knew she would be when I hired her, I just didn't think I was going to be induced early- high bp), so I had a back up doula, but even just calling my doula helped.  She was so positive, it was what I needed!  My doula came only about 30 minutes before I started pushing, but she was still very helpful.  I had an amazing labor and delivery nurse and if it hadn't been for her, I would have been calling my doula sooner!

Michelle BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"