Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Started sleep training @ 14 months

This past week, my husband and I finally decided it was time to "sleep train" our 14 month old son.  His sleeping habits had been getting worse b/c he would get up like 10 times during the night and had to be rocked back to sleep each time.  He also slept in a pack n play in our bedroom, so we made the exhausted decision to sleep train.  I read the "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby" book and things seem to be going ok.  It's the 4th day and he still cries quite a bit.  Anyone else have success stories with this?  I feel bad b/c his voice sounds a little hoarse from crying :-(  Just looking for some reassurance (sorry so long!).

Re: Started sleep training @ 14 months

• Options

Why did you start so late? I started at 7-8 months b/c at that age they know what they are doing (cry for attention etc). 

Get into a routine asap...play, bath, book and BED!!!!. I know its hard to hear them cry but if you dont ferberize now you are gonna be stuck with this for a long time. Confort him/her when they cry every 10-15 min. but eventually they will go to sleep and in the morning - will smile to see you as if the night never happened.

Please start asap!

• Options

We did this right around DS's 1st birthday.  He would only go to sleep at night if we were rocking him and then it started taking FOREVER.  He was also waking 1+ times per night for a bottle.  First we got rid of the night wakings for bottles and then tackled bedtime.  

We started our routine of bath, milk, stories and bed.  We put him in bed awake and of course he'd scream and cry.  We'd leave the room and go back in after 5 mins, then we'd wait 10 mins, then 15 mins (each time increasing the amount of time before we'd go in again) to lay him back down/rub his head/tell him it was time for bed.  It took about a week and then he completely stopped crying and went to bed with no problems.  We do have setbacks when he's sick or teething, but then he goes back to the great sleeper that he is.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

it seems like we're back at square one since letting our LO sleep with us for a while when she was sick. last night, she literally feel asleep kneeling up in the crib with her head on the flat surface of the rail. i'm not looking forward to going through this again. she cried for more than an hour until i guess she just gave out. at least i'm a seasoned vet this time around. the first go-round was TOUGH!

best advice: once you get them in there, don't let them sleep with you ever again!

• Options
    imageKymberli101010:

Why did you start so late? I started at 7-8 months b/c at that age they know what they are doing (cry for attention etc). 

Get into a routine asap...play, bath, book and BED!!!!. I know its hard to hear them cry but if you dont ferberize now you are gonna be stuck with this for a long time. Confort him/her when they cry every 10-15 min. but eventually they will go to sleep and in the morning - will smile to see you as if the night never happened.

Please start asap!

Oh, FFS, are you being serious? Because that sort of guilt-inducing bullsh!te is a bit much. 

OP - you could look into Kim West "The Sleep Lady". She does modified sleep training, and has a book "Good Night, Sleep Tight". 

And FWIW, my older son slept with us until he was 20+ months, and transitioned into a toddler bed with no problems. Be patient and hang in there!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"