December 2011 Moms
Options

which side do you sleep on?

I read somewhere that you should ideally sleep on your left side but I can't. I think baby squeezes my stomach on that side and I start getting gurgle burps and my stomach hurts. I have to sleep on my right side. Its the only way I'm comfortable. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: which side do you sleep on?

• Options
    I switch back & forth from left to right.  And I wake up on my back sometimes.  I've never heard that you should sleep on one side over the other.  I figure if I can manage to get comfortable (HA!) then it's a good position.
  • Options

I've heard the same thing but I've also heard that either side is good.  Yes, the left side is supposedly ideal but your right side is fine too. 

I sleep on both sides, every time I wake up in the middle of the night to pee I switch sides, otherwise I'm uncomfortable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Both
  • Options
    Both sides and my back. I always fall asleep on one side and usually wake up on my back.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options
    The left side is better for blood circulation and digestion, if I remember right! I try to sleep on my left side as much as possible, but I don't stress out if I need to switch to my right during the night to be able to fall asleep. I just switch back to left when I wake up the next time!
  • Options
    Both and sometimes my back.  Dr. said that left side is best for circulation so I try to do that, but what I do when I'm sleeping is not my choice!
  • Options

My right side feels best, then it is a toss up between my left side and my back.

I'm really starting to miss sleeping on my stomach though. I roll onto it a little sometimes and the baby starts kicking right away, it wakes me up and gets me to move.

• Options
    Both.  I wake up 5-7x/night to switch (I don't necessarily pee every time, lol).  My hips start to hurt, which is what wakes me up.
  • Options
    I wake up all night long switching back and forth between the left and right.
    TTC Since Oct 08 BFP #1- 1/23/09, missed m/c 2/26/09 BFP #2- 9/8/09, natural m/c 9/16/09 BFP #3- 4/13/10, missed m/c 5/26/10 BFP #4- 4/6/11 beta#1 at 12dpo-133 prog-55.7, beta#2 at 16dpo- 861 DD born 12/8/2011 BFP#5- 11/23/12 EDD 7/25/13 Dx- Uterine septum (removed Aug 2010), endo, MTHFR C677t hetero, Factor II hetero, Low Protein S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageGoldenPeaches:
    Both sides and my back. I always fall asleep on one side and usually wake up on my back.

Me too. 

Edited because I am an English teacher and that's what we do.
    Pregnancy Ticker 

BFP: 7/20/14  MMC: 8/29/14  D&C: 8/31
    BFP: 12/27/14 MMC: 1/26/15 D&C: 1/29
    Anniversary

• Options
    Both but the right is more comfy. When I sleep on my left, my hip starts getting all tingly and it drives me nuts!
  • Options
    Both though I favor the left.  I just try to avoid sleeping on my back which is difficult as it is the most comfortable position.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagechankins14:
    I switch back & forth from left to right.  And I wake up on my back sometimes.  I've never heard that you should sleep on one side over the other.  I figure if I can manage to get comfortable (HA!) then it's a good position.

Me too - to the bold parts. I swap every two-ish hours to try and get comfortable and to pee. I've heard the sleeping on one side but cant remember what side they said it was... And the waking up on my back - that is the worst! I sometimes roll over on my back and wake up in such horrible pain and discomfort and I cant sit up, I kind of have to roll outta bed on the floor on my knees then get up from there. IDK why but just sitting up doesnt work after being on my back.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    I switch from one side to the other. I can't sleep on one side too long without getting uncomfortable. I do favor my right side though because I pulled a muscle near my ribs on my left side when I was 10 weeks from coughing so much when I had a bad cold and it STILL hurts to lay on it :(
  • Options
    I have the same problem as far as if I sleep on my left side to much it hurts.   I switch back and forth and my MF said whatever side is more comfortable is fine.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mostly my right, but I flop back and forth too.
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've been switching back and forth. Ideally I want (and have also read) to sleep on my left side. My right lower back THROBS all day and this is the only position that helps. However, like you, I struggle laying on my left. I almost feel like I'm laying on the baby's head. It's always harder on that side and I tend to get nausous if I lay there too long.
  • Options
    I switch back and forth from left to right, but I am far more comfortable on my right side, rather than the left like they recommend!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I sleep on both...if I am on one side too long my ear that I am laying on hurts.  It's weird!  I am a die hard stomach sleeper (ok, was) and I can kind of tilt myself to where I'm half on my side and half on my stomach.  I let my belly rest on my body pillow and it really is the most comfortable for me.  If I lay on my back I get crampy-like there are gas bubbles trapped that cannot escape.
  • Options
    i sleep on both. lately i find myself waking up on my back, oddly it's more comfortable & i've never ever been able to sleep on my back before
  • Options
    I only sleep on my left side but that has nothing to do with pregnancy, that's how I was pre-preg too!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesweetie41305:
    I sleep on both sides, every time I wake up in the middle of the night to pee I switch sides, otherwise I'm uncomfortable.

This! I prefer my left side -when I lay on my right side I feel his weight more- my poor bladder lol. But I switched back and forth and occassionally wake up on my back! 

Liam Tyler & Emma Grace 
    ...baby #3 boy MC at 10 weeks

• Options

imagegina_bo_bena:
    Both.  I wake up 5-7x/night to switch (I don't necessarily pee every time, lol).  My hips start to hurt, which is what wakes me up.

This exactly. I always tried to fall asleep on my left side when I read about it, but I always fall asleep on my right side and switch all night.

Harper Jane 11/19/11 5lb 15 oz 20 inches... perfection
  • Options
    I switch back and forth.  If I stay on one side too long, the hip I'm laying on HURTS!
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options

imagegina_bo_bena:

OMG this is awful.  I've actually most nights resorted to moving to the couch because I can use the back of the couch to help position me on my side in a way that doesn't bother my back, and takes some of the pressure off my hips.  One of these days I'm just going to start out there and maybe I'll sleep most of the night, right now I try tossing and turning 3-4 times before I finally move out there for the last 1-2 hours of (semi)comfortable sleep.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"