2nd Trimester

spotting/placenta previa

I had very light spotting on Saturday night. It was not followed by any cramping or any further bleeding, but  my midwife said there is a possibility that I have a low laying placenta. Anyone else experience this? If it is placenta previa did you get put on bed rest?

My biggest concern is how to take care of my 2 year old son. My husband travels a lot for work, and we would definitely have to find a way to make it work with my son and being on bed rest. I'm open to any thoughts/stories/etc. TIA!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: spotting/placenta previa

• My sister had placenta previa and all her doctor told her was that she wasn't allowed to have sex. She could do everything else but that.
  • I have placenta previa, my placenta is completely covering the cervix (not partially, like some people).  

I am not on bed rest, just "pelvic rest", which means no sex, no lifting anything that isn't light, no exercising at all (not even yoga), no strenuous activity, etc.

The good news is that in most cases, as the baby grows, the placenta shifts out of the way and everything goes to normal.  If it doesn't, then you would just need a c-section about 2-3 weeks before the baby is due, that way you don't start labor at all.  My doctor is having me get a u/s every month of monitor the position of it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRebeccaLovesChris:

I have placenta previa, my placenta is completely covering the cervix (not partially, like some people).  

I am not on bed rest, just "pelvic rest", which means no sex, no lifting anything that isn't light, no exercising at all (not even yoga), no strenuous activity, etc.

The good news is that in most cases, as the baby grows, the placenta shifts out of the way and everything goes to normal.  If it doesn't, then you would just need a c-section about 2-3 weeks before the baby is due, that way you don't start labor at all.  My doctor is having me get a u/s every month of monitor the position of it. 

Thanks for the information! I am hoping to know soon wether or not thats the case for me or not. Did you find out first via ultrasound or were there signs leading up to it? 

• Hi! At my last appt my dr was gabbing away about my first trimester screening and I heard him say the words "placenta previa"

I was like "Whoa whoa whoa, I have placenta previa?!"

He said that I did, and it was "insignificant" but was shocked that they hadn't told me at my screening. I haven't had any spotting though.

All he told me was that I wasn't allowed to have sex and that he was confident it would move up as I grew bigger. They will check again at 20 weeks and if it's still there I will have ultrasounds every 3 weeks after that. And if it doesn't move I'll have to have a C section.

My twin sister had this also, and hers had moved by 28 weeks.

Hope that helps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"