Stay at Home Moms
Options

Who has been to/lived in Bermuda?

My DH is seriously considering a position in Bermuda. The company would fly us out before we have to make our decision, but I'm getting anxious! Who has been to or lived in Bermuda? Can I live there with twins and minimal access to a car (most people have only scooters/use taxis)? Thanks!
Eli and Charlie born at 33w6d image

Re: Who has been to/lived in Bermuda?

• Options
    I will probably be zero help, but, my friend just took an accounting position in Bermuda. She really likes it, but then again, she's single with no kids. She just got her scooter license too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • Options
    I have no input other than I love that you need a license to ride a scooter.
    It just seems funny
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was there as a tourist and I loved it!  It was beautiful and the people were so very nice.  They rely on tourism so they go out of their way to be nice.  I'm not sure how it would be to live there...especially with little kids.  There is some drug crime and it's a tiny island.  
    DS1 June 12, 2009
    DS2 May 19, 2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

DH was considering a position there at one point. Be aware that they are VERY restrictive to ex pats.  You will not be able to work.  They limit the number of children for ex pats to TWO, so don't plan to TTC while you are there. Rent is expensive and you most likely will not be able to buy anything. My understanding from speaking to a lot of the locals is that  how most people handle it is that YOU as the mom should have the car and your DH should use a scooter or public transit. Their public transit rocks. It is very clean.  I've been there with DH on business multiple times and it is lovely. The people are very friendly. My favorite place is St. George's though it is a bit of a trek from where most of the action is in Hamilton. 

I found this website very helpful when I was looking into it.

https://www.bermuda-online.org/newcomers.htm 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Thanks for the information. I read the webpage you provided, but only see limits on hiring restrictions for families with more than 2 children, I have seen no mention of restriction of giving birth on the island, do you have more information on this?
    Eli and Charlie born at 33w6d image
  • Options
    I remember reading it at one point that the spouse and children could be asked to leave or the work permit revoked/not renewed. It is possible things have changed since. I'd make sure to ask a lot of questions so you can plan accordingly. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

We just went there on our honeymoon! It was BEAUTIFUL!! we even ventured into the  "real" bermuda and not just the tourist-y places...and it was so nice. Everyone is nice, and polite...and helpful! A lot more people had cars than youd think. Mostly small compact cars...we saw a few small suv's.

We didnt want to leave. Seriously might consider retiring there Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"