Breastfeeding
Options

Breast shells--do they really work for small/flat nipples?

I am doing my research now (am 13 weeks pregnant) about how to make breastfeeding as successful as possible this time around, since I ended up EPing for 6 months with DS because he wouldn't latch. Apparently, I have small/flat nipples.  For you mamas with this issue, have you ever tried breast shells to help bring out your nipples more, did you wear them during pregnancy, and did it seem to help once your LO was born?  I know I can use nipple shields once my LO is born, but I am concerned about increasing and maintaining my supply by using them (I have heard that they can negatively affect your supply).  Any input would be appreciated, TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breast shells--do they really work for small/flat nipples?

• Options
    I used nipple shields up until a couple weeks ago and it didn't impact my supply. Now that my LO is 3 months old he can latch better I just stopped using the nipple shields. I just stopped cold turkey and it worked for us. He's been doing great without them.
    After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • Options

imagehall_ky:
    I used nipple shields up until a couple weeks ago and it didn't impact my supply. Now that my LO is 3 months old he can latch better I just stopped using the nipple shields. I just stopped cold turkey and it worked for us. He's been doing great without them.

Sorry if this is a TMI question, but did you have issues with latching due to small or flat nipples?  I just like hearing if others with the same type of issue have success.  Good to know that it is possible to go a couple of months with the nipple shields. Glad things are going so well for you two!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"