Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Getting LO to like the stroller

LO hates his car seat so I didn't get much use out of the snap and go. Now that heis big enough, I want to start using our big stroller. We have the BOB and was looking forward to using it but he hates the stroller too!  Any tricks to get him to like the stroller?  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting LO to like the stroller

• With our stroller there is a part that folds up to make a bassinet. I keep that folded up and then raise the back of the seat so she can see everything. I roll a blanket up to giver her some added stability. She loves being able to see everything and will happily sit in the stroller for a while.
  • I'm so glad I didn't get the snap and go (not that it's a huge purchase) because my DD also decided she did not want to be in the car seat one second longer than she had to.

For the stroller - we did some practice runs at home first. Around the house and even around our yard. In the house I'd stand in front of it and pull it along by the tray so she'd be able to see me. And I'd laugh and make a big deal out of how much fun we were having. In the yard I'd talk to her the whole time about what we were looking at and periodically step in front to smile at her. (our stroller can have her facing us, but not until she's a bit bigger) .... Also, I found that she didn't like the shoulder straps, so as long as she was reclined enough and we weren't anywhere dangerous I didn't use them. Now she can handle being a little less reclined without them, too. And she loves being in her stroller now. Whenever she does get a little fussy, I find I just have to step around to where she can see me (or if DH and I are both out with her, one of us walks in front enough for her to see us).

So, I guess I'd try some practice runs, very short periods of time in a familiar place where you can make a big deal out of the fun and let your LO see you. And, if your baby is very interested in toys, clip those to the front so he can be entertained while you walk about.

Good Luck!! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Ds doesnt likethe stroller much either, but is getting better. We do not use harness straps..doesnt like them in car seat...no choice there, but with stroller he is good aslong as he is sitting up and able to see whats going on. also we put a blanket under him fort added comfort. Ther stroller seats are hard and can be cold.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dd hatese
  • I tried reclining him before he was sitting up very well, and he still freaked. I finallys at him all the way up and used the shoulder straps. We took really short walks at first - like circles around the driveway for a couple minutes - and made a huge deal out of it. I also talked to him alot, but he's a watcher, so as long as he had something to see, he was good to go.

Now, the only time he isn't happy is if he's getting sleepy - he will fuss but falls asleep as long as I keep moving.

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wish I had advice but I'm in the same boat as you. I've been wanting to walk to get some exercise but almost every time I take LO out in the stroller she starts crying. A few times she's screamed so much I took her out and carried her in one arm and pushed the stroller with the other all the way home! Looked ridiculous but I didn't want the neighbors hearing her scream and think I was a bad mom! haha
  • imageabbyfp2324:
    I wish I had advice but I'm in the same boat as you. I've been wanting to walk to get some exercise but almost every time I take LO out in the stroller she starts crying. A few times she's screamed so much I took her out and carried her in one arm and pushed the stroller with the other all the way home! Looked ridiculous but I didn't want the neighbors hearing her scream and think I was a bad mom! haha

Yup. Been there.  

• DS hated his stroller when we put him in his car seat that snapped into the stroller, but as soon as we put him in the "big boy" part where he could sit up, face forward and look around, he loved it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"