Babies: 6 - 9 Months

For those of you who waited until 6 mo for solids...

Did you feel the need to feed your child rice cereal/oatmeal? I am considering skipping them because they don't seem to have much nutritional value. I think I may just jump right to sweet potatoes. What was your first solid food?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For those of you who waited until 6 mo for solids...

• As far as I know they need cereal for the iron, or meat. So maybe a few times a week give LO some, or wait until you re doing 2 solids a day. DD gets oatmeal and a fruit for breakfast and a veggie for dinner. DDs first food was oatmeal then sweet potatos. She looooves sweet potatoes. Random note: Its funny i make her food. I gave her a jar of the potatos one day when we were out and she wouldnt eat them huge difference in taste.

Edited

• At my pedi's recommendation I started oatmeal a few days before he turned 6 months to get him used to a new texture. I also use the oatmeal to thicken his purees a little bit and give him a little extra iron. After 6 months old babies need iron in their food because the store they are born with are used by now. 

He did really well with the oatmeal and I think it did help us start other purees!

Oh and his first solid was sweet potatoes as well! 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I  waited until 6 months, and also started with sweet potatoes.  I now use the rice cereal to thicken certain puree's that are a little runny.

• They don't NEED the cereal, or even solids for that matter at this age. Any solids they get are additional to their formula or breast milk. We just started last week with our DD at 6 1/2 months. We did a few days of trying rice cereal to see if she could eat off the spoon. She hated it. We just went right to sweet potatoes. We follow this list for both girls on what to feed when and what ages:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/here/solids2chart.pdf

This one is pretty helpful too:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/images/FoodChartbyFood.png

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • We tried to give DS rice cereal first, but he was not a fan. Instead, like you are thinking of doing, we started with sweet potatoes but mixed in a small amount of the rice cereal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • our pedi said if you're nursing and doing solids, they need to get iron - so cereal is a good way to get that, unless you are getting it from other foods. 
  • Like a pp mentioned, I use oatmeal to thicken up the purees.  But keep in mind that formula or BM is still their primary source of nutrition.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cereal is not necessary. we started with avocados but we are skipping purees altogether and doing table food
  • You can skip cereal all together. We did. 

As for the iron - it's true that babies' initial iron stores from the womb are generally depleted by 6 months, but there is a good amount of bio-available (easily absorbed) iron in BM and there is tons of iron in formula. There are also other, more nutritious foods you can feed LO that have lots of iron.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMarSamWhitney:
    I  waited until 6 months, and also started with sweet potatoes.  I now use the rice cereal to thicken certain puree's that are a little runny.

This is exactly what I did!!

• I started feeding cereals around 4 months because my LO was looking at us eating all the time.  He is now 8 monhs, still using cereals for iron -he loves oatmeal. I add pureed apple and other fruits right into it and then mix the water in as needed.  To me its a common sense breakfast food -as children they will probably eat warm oatmeal so why not get them use to the taste. The added fruit just makes it taste different! 

Talk to your doctor about whats required for your LO.

Good Luck and have fun!

• I started with rice cereal and still feed DD a bit of it at supper time for the iron in it.  DD isn't taking too well to meats.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • You're right about rice - not much nutritional value.  Oatmeal is a little better, although if you're really into nutrition, you might want to consider something like this: Happy Bellies Oatmeal.   I read the ingredients on the Gerber brand and was like "yeah, no thanks."  You can skip it entirely but FWIW, LO won't eat most green veggies unless they are mixed with oatmeal so it's valuable from that standpoint.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageCleanQueen:

imageMarSamWhitney:
    I  waited until 6 months, and also started with sweet potatoes.  I now use the rice cereal to thicken certain puree's that are a little runny.

This is exactly what I did!!

Me too on this. I started with squash, then apples, then sweet potato, then banana's... i struggled with the cereal thing becasue everyone said you are suppose too. As been said they are getting their nutition from BM or formula. I may add cereal here soon in the evening bottle for filling the belly bit more but i won't soley give it to her... if i won't eat it i am not giving to her!
  • Nope, skipped it completely, still haven't given him oatmeal and never plan on giving him rice cereal. We started with sweet potatoes, avocado, pears, and bananas.
  • I did. I use it as PPs have said to thicken runny purees. I also (on the rec. of my ped) give it to him so that he gets his necessary daily requirements of iron. He actually likes it and sometimes it helps him to like the taste of certain foods better.
  • I waited until 6 months (okay 4 days prior to 6 months) and started with Sweet Potato then Butternut Squash. I have Acorn Squash, Avocado and Apples coming up!

I did just make barley, she'll start that sooner or later.  I also plan on making oatmeal soon. 

• I'm just starting baby led weaning and plan to offer actual iron rich foods (as opposed to fortified foods) right away: egg yolk, chicken, tuna, etc. I doubt he'll eat much at first, but I think the risk of anemia has been way overblown for a healthy full-term infant.
  • imagemeltoine:

You can skip cereal all together. We did. 

As for the iron - it's true that babies' initial iron stores from the womb are generally depleted by 6 months, but there is a good amount of bio-available (easily absorbed) iron in BM and there is tons of iron in formula. There are also other, more nutritious foods you can feed LO that have lots of iron.  

This exactly. We started with avocado and sweet potato, and have added in foods with iron over time.

• We started with sweet potatoes, avocado & banana - we're doing the baby-led weaning thing and it's going really well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"