Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Flouride and 6 months old

LO has her first 2 teeth. I have been using flouride free water. I was thinking of switiching to the water with flouride. What's everyone else doing?

PS.HI... Just recently switiched to this board from the 3-6 month... she is growing to fast. LOL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flouride and 6 months old

• Options
    When you say you have been using flouride free water - do you FF? I BF and my pedi said DS would get enough flouride since we just drink regular tap water. Honestly, I'm not sure if that is because he is getting flouride through my milk or what. I offer some water, but he definitely doesn't drink a lot. If you do FF, I'd look on the can and see if there is already a flouride supplement. If not, I think that using water with flouride is not a bad idea.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRunningGal900:
    When you say you have been using flouride free water - do you FF? I BF and my pedi said DS would get enough flouride since we just drink regular tap water. Honestly, I'm not sure if that is because he is getting flouride through my milk or what. I offer some water, but he definitely doesn't drink a lot. If you do FF, I'd look on the can and see if there is already a flouride supplement. If not, I think that using water with flouride is not a bad idea.
    Yes sorry she is FF
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ignore my earlier response. I just googled infants and flouride and ADA and it looks like you don't need to switch to water with flouride, but it would be safe to use flouridated water. Here is the link (I don't know how to make it clicky): https://www.ada.org/4052.aspx#reconstitute

I'd ask your pedi or your dentist for more advice, but I probably wouldn't switch until talking to them.

Edited for clarification. 

• Options
    Honestly, I did a lot of research on this.  You might want to talk to a dentist.  The water with flouride might be too much when added with what LO is getting elsewhere.  Too much flouride can discolor the teeth.
  • Options
    imagesnoopy5512:
    Honestly, I did a lot of research on this.  You might want to talk to a dentist.  The water with flouride might be too much when added with what LO is getting elsewhere.  Too much flouride can discolor the teeth.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Oops sorry I don't know how that other one posted...I didn't click post yet!

But honestly, the FDA is considering lowering the amount of flouride required in tap water because everyone is getting it from so many other places it is causing a lot of discoloration on teeth.  You probably don't need it, but check with your dentist

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My ped told us to start giving LO 2-4 oz of water a day for the flouride. I just mix his rice cereal with water instead of breastmilk now.
  • Options
    We use bottled water for our LO, and so our pedi gave us fluoride drops to use once a day. He said if we were using fluorinated tap water, that would be enough.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    After DS cut his first tooth the pedi gave us an RX for a multi-vitamin w/floride, but we have well water so that may be a whole different situation from you.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

You don't need flouride. Our adult toothpaste that we use does not contain flouride.

"Ionic fluoride is not the same as the organic fluorine that contributes to bone and tooth health. Organic fluorine is present in a great many foods and, as it is protein bound, is poorly absorbed. Ionic fluoride is, in contrast, rapidly and completely absorbed by the stomach.

Even the enthusiasts recognize that fluoride is toxic at VERY small doses.

The history of fluoride

The concept of fluoridation (adding fluoride to foods and water) has been with us for decades. Some clever scientists noticed that organic fluorine is required with calcium for healthy teeth and bones.

Extrapolating this, the scientists decided that more fluorine may mean more healthy teeth, (although they couldn't prove this) and suggested that water supplies be "enhanced" with ionic fluoride, which is not the same compound and has different health effects!

Coincidentally, the scientists worked for large paper and aluminum manufacturers, whose industrial processes produce large amounts of....you guessed it, fluoride!

fluoride is toxic waste. The ONLY reason it is added to water is to save the manufacturers from having to get rid of it.

fluoride and dental health

Organic fluorine, along with calcium and a little bit of help from molybdenum, forms calcium fluorapatite, which is recognized as the mineral element of teeth and bones.

Ionic fluoride does not contribute to this process and instead causes the over stimulation of the parathyroid glands, resulting in abnormal bone growth, calcification of tendons and ligaments and interrupts the process which generates energy in cells.

Symptoms of fluoride poisoning (flurosis)

Mottled teeth
    Osteoporosis
    Bone spurs (abnormal bony projections)
    Calcification of tendons and ligaments
    Chronic fatigue (may be implicated in chronic fatigue syndrome)
    Flurosis may be fatal

But hasn't fluoride been shown to reduce tooth decay?

No.

Numerous studies, mostly sponsored by the (enormously successful) pro-fluoride lobby have been undertaken in an effort to support the "fluoride hypothesis". Some of these studies have involved the fluoridation of water supplies in whole cities to study the "benefits" over non-fluoridated cities.

The results?

Non-fluoridated cities had significantly fewer dental caries!

Needless to say, the fluoridation lobby then dismissed these results as "irrelevant" in the face of the "obvious" benefits of fluoridation.

We have yet to hear of ANY health benefit from fluoridation. The only benefit that is obvious is that instead of having to pay to get rid of their toxic waste, paper and aluminium manufacturers can sell it for use in water supplies and toothpastes.

This is criminal!

Normal amounts of fluoride in the diet

None at all!

Sources of dietary fluoride

Ionic fluoride is not present in foods naturally

Conclusion

fluoride is not a normal constituent of the diet. It should not therefore be added artificially to the diet. If you want to boost your bone and joint health, take come calcium and maybe boost your seafood intake. Do NOT, under any circumstances, drink fluoridated water or use "fluoride" toothpaste. " 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our water is not flourinated apparently, so our pedi gave us flouride drops to give to LO.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"