Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Bassinets?

First time expectant mother here and overwhelmed! We already ordered our crib, but I understand it may be best for our little girl to sleep in the room with us the first few months.

I was looking at Bassinets today at Buy buy baby, and they dont look very ventilated. Ive read so much about SIDS and using bumpers on cribs, yet the bassinets look fully enclosed on the sides? Any suggestions on the type of bassinet we should get?

Thank you!

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!

Re: Bassinets?

• Options

I was also going to use a bassinet, then got to reading a lot about SIDS and ventilation. I got so freaked out that I changed my mind instead of using the bassinet we have I ordered a co-sleeper. The won I ordered is called rock n play sleeper by Fisher-price. It will fit perfectly next to my bed and has no sides so I don't have to worry about ventilation. It kind of looks like a cot and it has straps so the baby can't roll out. The most expensive one I saw was like $40 so they are cheap and I think it will work great.

• Options
    We needed a PNP for travel anyway, so we just go this one which has a bassinet.  It's just an attachment that raises the mattress up and it's very well ventilated.  DS slept in there for the first 4.5 months and it worked really well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used the Rock N Play. LO loved it more than the bassinette.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would just use a pack n play, serves the same purpose and you can use it later for travel..thats what we did and are glad because the pedi recommended him only to sleep in our room for about 2 months before transitioning to his crib.

The fischer price rock and play has been great for laying him in during the day but just be careful using it at night. I've seen many posts on the 3-6 boards about people having a hard time transitioning LO into their crib after sleeping in the rock n play because they became used to sleeping on an incline.

BKP__Levi's One Year_0032_CDBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Baby cradles bassinets can be just as expensive as a crib, but you can use bassinets for only about 3 months. The co-sleeper sounds like a good option if you want your baby to sleep with you. This didn?t work out for us, though. Our first baby was a howler. She kept my husband awake the whole night! She eventually settled down after about 6 weeks. A crib worked fine for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"