VBAC

22 weeks and thinking about VBAC

I had a c-section after being induced with my son due to PIH.  I didn't dilate at all and he didn't drop.  They almost needed a vacuum to get him out during the c-section so needless to say he was stuck!

The same thing happened to my mom (minus the induction), but she went on to have my brother naturally.

My Dr is pretty much 100% against VBACs and says I'm not a good candidate.  I'm wondering why the heck can't we just see what happens?  What if I'm dilated to a 3 by 39 weeks or something.  Why would we do a c-section?

There are Drs in my area who are open to VBACs, but I love my Dr and he is one of the best in the area.

What would you do?  Would you go ahead and make an appointment with a VBAC friendly Dr just to talk about it and to see what he has to say about me being a good candidate or not?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Re: 22 weeks and thinking about VBAC

• If you truly have your heart set on a VBAC then yes, I would make an appt. and talk to a different OB or Midwife! It never hurts to get a different opinion and it's never too late to change OB's! I've heard of people doing it at 39 weeks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If your doctor is 100% against VBAC, of course he doesn't think you are a good candidate.  He doesn't think ANYONE is a good candidate!  But the truth is, most women are good candidates and if you don't talk to someone who actually believes in VBAC, you will never know if you are.

If you want a VBAC, you will need to find another doctor.  Not to sound cynical, but doctors who don't want to do a VBAC will pressure you into a c/s or find a "reason" that you can't have a VBAC.  Of course labor and birth are normal physiological processes, and they can happen regardless of the support you have.  But you don't want to be fighting someone every minute while you are giving birth, and an unsupportive doctor will not give you much of a chance.

I'd try to have a consultation with a doctor who does VBACs.  If you don't like what they have to say, you can stay with your current doctor.  At least you will know your options this way--you really have nothing to lose.  GL!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageiris427:

If your doctor is 100% against VBAC, of course he doesn't think you are a good candidate.  He doesn't think ANYONE is a good candidate!  But the truth is, most women are good candidates and if you don't talk to someone who actually believes in VBAC, you will never know if you are.

If you want a VBAC, you will need to find another doctor.  Not to sound cynical, but doctors who don't want to do a VBAC will pressure you into a c/s or find a "reason" that you can't have a VBAC.  Of course labor and birth are normal physiological processes, and they can happen regardless of the support you have.  But you don't want to be fighting someone every minute while you are giving birth, and an unsupportive doctor will not give you much of a chance.

I'd try to have a consultation with a doctor who does VBACs.  If you don't like what they have to say, you can stay with your current doctor.  At least you will know your options this way--you really have nothing to lose.  GL!

Agreed.  GL, OP. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"