February 2012 Moms
Options

s/o ear piercing (non-clicky poll)

This was asked a few weeks ago on the morning radio show that I listen to, and I've been thinking about it since.

How would you respond to your son if he wanted to get his ear/s pierced? If your answer is different than it is for a girl, how do you justify the double standard?

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga

Re: s/o ear piercing (non-clicky poll)

• Options

I'm really not crazy about earrings on guys (though DH does have his ear pierced), but if push came to shove, I'd let a son get it done at the same age as a daughter - 13 yo. Admittedly, though, I would try to persuade my son to think about it more than I would for a daughter.

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    imagekleMcK:

I'd let a son get it done at the same age as a daughter - 13 yo. Admittedly, though, I would try to persuade my son to think about it more than I would for a daughter.

This exactly.

Natural BFP - 2/13/10, Natural M/C - 3/9/10 (Missed m/c found at 8wks 4days) Prenatal B/W shows I'm a Beta Thal carrier & so is DH. Onto IVF w/PGD... Jan 2011 - IVF #1 - C/P Mar 2011 - IVF #2 - Day 5 PGD, no ET, 5 snow babies May 2011 - FET #1 - BFP!! Twins!!! 2/9/12 - Our precious miracles arrived! Baby A 7lbs 13oz & Baby B 5lbs 13oz
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would not be okay with it. My first reason being that I have been raised to think that boy piercings are tacky. Also, most schools will not allow piercings not to mention a serious job/career. I realize that they are kids, but we are the first persons to teach our children right from wrong. Unfortonately this is something that society has made a negative in the profesional area. I expect my children to go to college and have respectable careers. I expect my children to be well behaved. I think this falls into that category. If as an adult he chooses a piercing than so be it. Also as a Hispanic, the connotation for piercings is usually thug,etc. I am not okay with that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't let my son get an earring, unless he was a teenager. Teens I can understand because all their friends might have one and it's self-expression. Earlier than that. N.O. It is a different thing entirely for a girl, but there is such a long list of acceptable social differences for girls and boys, where would we begin? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Earrings on boys don't bother me...I'd probably want them to wait until they are 15...but more realistically, 13. However, DH is far more conservative about this than I am and could imagine this turning into a fight in the future.

We're having a girl and DH, again, is pretty conservative and wants to wait until she is 6 or 7 to get them pierced.  I love how baby girls/little girls look with pierced ears and would probably want them done a LOT younger...we'll see what happens.

And, yes, I do have a double standard and I'm fine with that!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Interesting question!  DH has plugs AND a respectable office job, which I think is becoming more common.  However, I don't know how I would feel about my little boy having earrings.  I think I'll leave that one up to daddy :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If he wants them, I am fine with that. I got DD's pierced as a baby, I obviously won't get his done. He would need to probably atleast be a teenager. I believe in letting them express themselves, for the most part, so I don't mind. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Heck no!  Don't like it on boys.  We will let our daughter around 7 years old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"