Baby Names
Options

Poll / Association with name an issue?

I posted a question below but didnt realize I could do a poll, so Im posting a new poll as it could give me more feedback/input.  Thanks in advance!

I will repost my post from below so you know my concerns.  If you already answered on my other thread, please ignore this post but feel free to vote if you want.  Thanks!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board, last week I saw a post on Addison that I was following and in the post someone mentioned the disease association.  I'm considering this name, and would like to know if you think that the disease is an issue?  I did some research and it is a rare disease (that is also known by the term adrenal gland disorder), but even though its rare, it pops up when you google Addison.  I know alot of common names are the names of diseases and disorders but they dont automatically pop up on google like Addison's Disease does.  Obviously Addison is a common name now, at least in the last 3 years, and there are alot of girls named Addison, will the disease association not be a big deal later on as the name becomes more associated as a name rather then a disease?  Will a girl/woman be self conscience or feel bad when she googles her name and sees that its also the name of a disease?  If you hate the name then fine, but please keep that issue separate from the issue Im asking about.  Thanks in advance for your input. 

[Poll]

Re: Poll / Association with name an issue?

• Options

No, my initials before I was married was ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease, and both of my parents worked in the medical field when I was born and were familiar with this disease. It didn't stop them from giving me my name, and it didn't lead me to  insecurities when I got older.

Most diseases were named after people, and a lot of them are last names too. Now, I don't think anyone would name their child Alzheimer Smith, but I don't think naming your child after a lesser-known illness or disease is enough to give them a complex about it in the future.

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I wouldn't think twice, but it seems like you personally are uneasy about using this name because of the disease.  You really should keep looking if the connection makes you this uncomfortable.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCityBee:
    If it bothers you personally, then don't do it. Addison is an extremely common name right now so I don't think the association matters or would even be thought of by most.
    This.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options

That's why I'm doing the poll, to find out if its really a non-issue.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"