Parenting
Options

So mad! Classmate pushed DS on the playground and now I am afraid he needs teeth pulled.

I just got called to pick DS1 up from school.  I was originally told he fell at recess on the blacktop and got a fat lip.  Turns out, another kid pushed him hard enough that he fell and got a busted lower lip and the gums around his top teeth are swollen and black.  WTH?  We're headed to the pedi dentist as soon as DH gets home to watch DS2. 

Alex says C kept putting his hands on his (Alex's) face / covering his mouth at recess, and when Alex told him to stop, the kid did it again and caught him more to the side / cheek and pushed him hard enough to make him fall down.  I'm so pissed!  I know kids will be kids, and he said the other kid said sorry and he forgave him, and I don't want to be *that mom* but I feel like if Alex has to get his front teeth pulled, someone ought to speak to this other kid and his parents and let them know that he really hurt someone, to remind him to keep his hands to himself...

Ugh, it's hard to be patient waiting to get to the dentist and see what they say when his mouth just looks awful.  :(

Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

Re: So mad! Classmate pushed DS on the playground and now I am afraid he needs teeth pulled.

• Options

I am sorry he got hurt. 

I bet someone (teacher / principal) has already spoken to the other kid.  If the parents haven't already been spoken to I am sure they will shortly.   What makes you assume that the other kids hasn't been spoken to? 

From the "tone" of this post in sound like you think you should speak with them.

Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Options

My DD (just turned 4) recently lost a tooth in a playground accident, so I sort of know how you feel!  Your son is a little older though and this was no accident.  On the good news side, they are baby teeth.  On the bad news side, the adult teeth may not grow in for a while!

I'm not usually one to make a big deal of these kinds of things, but I feel like if a kid causes serious damage, it's time to make a big deal.  I'd follow up with the principal after you take DS to the dentist and let him/her know the result.  Ask the principal how the other kid will be dealt with.  I'd trust the school to handle it, but if they originally told you that your son fell on the playground, they might not know that the other kid was pushing your child, your child asked him to stop, but the child kept doing it and caused your son serious pain.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I know I need to take a deep breath and get some perspective.  Maybe it'll happen after the dentist?  But it's hard to look at your kid who already has speech articulation issues and see his top teeth knocked crooked and gums black and not get hyped up.

I doubt the other kid was talked to just because the health assistant looked surprised when I asked him how it happened and he said C pushed him.  So I asked him if they were playing or if it was in a mean way, and then the story came out.  I'm going to wait to email the teacher to see if she knows what happened until I know what the dentist says, and I don't want to meet with the other parents or want the kid suspended or labeled a bully or anything.  I just think that if the tables were turned and my child had hurt another child seriously, even by accident, I'd want to know.  And in this case, since the kid was pushing, I would DEFINITELY want to know so it could be addressed.

Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• Options

I don't really think that talking to the teacher makes you "that mom". If it didn't seem like they knew the cause of the incident, there is nothing wrong with telling them what DS told you, and just asking that the other parents be notified so they have the chance to work on it with their son. Its not like you're demanding he be expelled or something, just calmly asking that the situation is addressed.

I hope everything is ok with your son's teeth!

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options
    I would definitely talk to the teacher in case she doesn't know. 
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Options
    I would be upset too.  I know kids will be kids and my kid could just as easily do it to another kid, especially in KG when they are kind of clueless.  But, the pain, hassle, expense, etc. would upset me for sure.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    Terrible - I hope it's just swollen and not long-term damage.  I think bringing it up to the school after you find out isn't terrible, just doing it as a PSA more than wanting something back from the student/school is probably best. 

Are you united with the CCOKCs?

• Options

Tooth extraction is NOT fun, and dental services aren't cheap.

Our schools have been so strictly anti-bullying I'm really surprised the school isn't taking action.  Kids have lost recess privileges for days for behavior more mild than what you've described, like repeated shoving even when there was no harm caused.

I would start with talking to the playground supervisors for that day and see if they saw anything.  They would know if someone already spoke with C about what happened.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    I would definitely want to know how a kid repeatedly put their hands on my kid's face and then shoved him without anyone noticing.  So sorry you are dealing with this.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"