March 2012 Moms
Options

Is anyone using (or has used) a cloth diaper service?

I'm thinking about it as an option now. It looks like its about the same price as buying disposables per month after pricing it out with a company near our home. My questions are: If you have used one in the past were you happy with it? And what else do you need to purchase up front besides wipes? Can you still use a Diaper Genie with CD to store the dirty ones?

It looks like the service we were looking at just rents out the insertable cloth part, but I know theres got to be more to it than that. I'm a total newbie when it comes to CDing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Is anyone using (or has used) a cloth diaper service?

• Options

I'm considering the same thing, and I've been lurking on the cloth dipering board to try to figure it all out. There is some good info on there.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My mom mentioned this to me. She said she did it for the first 6 months with my and my brother and then she switched over. I never gave it any thought until she mentioned it so Im still debating as well.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think diaper services only do prefold diapers. If you don't want to do prefolds it may not be the best option for you.

We cloth diapered DD (we used Bum Genius 3.0s, they are pocket diapers), and washed them ourselves. The washing never was a big deal IMO.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    imageColleenSwerb:

I guess I don't really understand the point of a CD service if it costs the same as disposables. One of the main benefits of CDing is the huge money savings.....

Buuuut I guess if you're looking at it mainly from the standpoint that it's better for the environment, then I suppose there's at least that.

This is the reason I'm looking into. Its hard for me to think about adding 80 diapers a week to the landfill. Money I don't really care so much about, I figure kids cost a lot and I'm prepared to spend money on diapers.

Also, we have a bear that gets into our trash every week, so having to pick up dirty diapers out of the trash can isn't a happy thought. I'd rather get them taken by a service and not have to deal with the bear coming around so much and causing havoc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesunnyday016:

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think diaper services only do prefold diapers. If you don't want to do prefolds it may not be the best option for you.

We cloth diapered DD (we used Bum Genius 3.0s, they are pocket diapers), and washed them ourselves. The washing never was a big deal IMO.

Yeah, see, I have no idea what you are talking about lol. Whats a prefold? I've tried lurking on the CD board but its really overwhelming to me. I'd rather just talk to one person who has done it before then lurk through a bunch of posts.

I can't really see me washing them myself. I'd probably give up and switch lol.

• Options
    imageSheenaNash1:
    imagesunnyday016:

Yeah, see, I have no idea what you are talking about lol. Whats a prefold? I've tried lurking on the CD board but its really overwhelming to me. I'd rather just talk to one person who has done it before then lurk through a bunch of posts.

I can't really see me washing them myself. I'd probably give up and switch lol.

Prefolds are what people think of when they think of cloth diapers- like the kinds used back when we were babies. They're just a piece of fabric that gets secured around the baby's bottom with either pins or a "snappi", and then used with a waterproof cover over top. Here's a pic (sorry I can't PIP):

https://www.ediaperbags.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/prefold-diapers.jpg 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

I thought I wouldn't want to wash them myself, but it's really not that big of a deal.

However, if you do plan on going with a service, more than likely you will need to do prefolds with a cover.

Prefolds

Snappi

Diaper cover

Hope these links help a little bit.

I have never used a service.  I just wash them myself like I stated earlier.  It's not as hard as you might think.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"