September 2011 Moms

Am I being selfish?

So, a little back story...

DH works for the railroad, as a conductor, he travels alot. Anyway,  we are in Texas bc I wanted to get married in tx and after we were supposed to go back up north. Well then I got pregnant so we decided to stay here bc we wanted good drs and nurses. Anyway... So we are supposed to go back up north, but DH is dragging his feet. 

He has a job here, as do I, but I told DH from the beginning that I was going to be a sahm. Which he agreed to.

Now, it's getting down to the wire and we have to start getting ready to move. But DH started talking about staying in Texas instead of going back. Which would mean I would have to go back to work. DH says he is going to miss out on so much of LO growing up and he doesn't want to. But if we stay here, we are basically paying someone else to raise our kid, while we both work our Butts off.  I just think why should we both work and put LO in daycare, when I could stay home and raise her and be able to send pics and or video, while he's on the road. 

Am I being selfish?  DH makes me feel like I am, but I don't think I am. He agrees with me when anyone asks him, but behind closed doors he sings a different tune. 

oa1
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Am I being selfish?

• I can see both sides....But my opinion yeah you are being a little selfish. My husband was working away also and just quit his job a couple weeks back because of unsafe conditions and to be closer to us. Because of this I had to start back work at 6weeks pp unstead of 12 weeks. I felt bitter for awhile but you get over it. Everytime he was away I could tell how much he hurt to be away from Madilyn and wanted to be with us. They want to be with LO just as much as we do. Yall definetely need to talk it out more...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So if you move, you can be a SAHM but your DH will have to be traveling frequently but if you stay where you are, you both have to work but no one has to travel?

If that is the case, I agree with Amanda and I see both sides. I definitely understand why you want to be a SAHM but I can see why your DH is dragging his feet. Since he agrees with you in front of people, he can probably see why moving would be benificial, but when it comes to actually making the move happen, he likes his situation the way it is. It sounds like you need to talk it out more. Make sure you both try to be objective and weigh your options and pick something you are both comfortable with.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank yoU, ladies. Y'all are right we should discuss this further. 

Id like to have health insurance, but my employer doesn't offer it and his is waaay too expensive. With his "real" job I would have insurance. 

Anyway, I'm usually the only one in the office at my job, so I'd be able to take LO with me, atleast a couple times to see if that goes well or if daycare would be better.  

Oh what a decision.  

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • That's a toughie. I, too, can see both sides. You both definitely have a legitimate argument, but I think I'm a little more on your hubby's side on this one.

My DH missed more than 9 months of DS1's first year of life...and that was absolutely heartbreaking for both of us. While I'm so thankful that I had the opportunity to stay at home with DS, I still can't say that I'd choose that over my husband missing so many of our baby's firsts. He missed his first smiles, his first taste of solid food, the first time he crawled, and a million other firsts. Sure, he saw it on video....but it's just not the same. He never really felt like he got to know DS. He never got a chance to bond with him because he was gone so much.

I get your point of view...but I can't help but remember how much it killed me for my husband to miss so much. When he was gone, it was hard to feel like a real family.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • if it's between you being a sahm and your dh being gone all the time or you both working but being home at night and on weekends...then yes you are being the selfish one.  your dh has every right to be there as much as you do if that's an option.  when ds 1 was born, dh NEVER got to see him.  He worked 10 hour days 6 days a week.  It sucked.  And you can tell he wasn't around much because now that he is with ds2, you can tell he doesn't know much about being around little babies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMereou12:

That's a toughie. I, too, can see both sides. You both definitely have a legitimate argument, but I think I'm a little more on your hubby's side on this one.

My DH missed more than 9 months of DS1's first year of life...and that was absolutely heartbreaking for both of us. While I'm so thankful that I had the opportunity to stay at home with DS, I still can't say that I'd choose that over my husband missing so many of our baby's firsts. He missed his first smiles, his first taste of solid food, the first time he crawled, and a million other firsts. Sure, he saw it on video....but it's just not the same. He never really felt like he got to know DS. He never got a chance to bond with him because he was gone so much.

I get your point of view...but I can't help but remember how much it killed me for my husband to miss so much. When he was gone, it was hard to feel like a real family.

All of this. DH was deployed for most of my first pregnancy, and Ella's 1st 7 months of life. I would never want him to miss this time with Connor, no matter what I had to sacrifice. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"