Natural Birth

Natural Childbirth options..

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} Hi all!  I currently see an OB and am planning to deliver at a hospital.  My husband and I are taking Bradley classes in hopes of having a natural childbirth.  I had a dr's appt today and asked my OB about some things we had learned in our classes and she does not seem very open to some of our wants.  Needless to say, I left the appointment feeling pretty discouraged and upset.  We aren't really sure we want to switch up things this late in the game (I am a little over 28 weeks now), but would like to research other options.  Does anyone know of a birth center or a great midwife or doula in the central Ohio area?  Thanks!  Any suggestions would be helpful. :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Natural Childbirth options..

• Sorry for the craziness at the beginning of that post!!  I tried to fix it and it wouldn't let me...I don't know what happened!
  • I did the Bradley Method also, and when I talked with my OB about it, I got the same feeling. So, at 25 weeks I switched practices and found a great midwife. It was like night and day at that first appointment. It is so important to not only be knowledgeable, but have support from your childbirth Professional. I don't know any Midwives in Ohio, but you can check out this website https://www.midwife.org/Consumer-Information. There is a link on that page to "find a midwife".

Don't feel bad about switching practices, but if you have insurance, just be aware of what that might do to your fees. It didn't add any expenses for us, it was just a little confusing, but the billing people at the new MW office were great at walking me through it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
  • Loading the player...
  • You should find a care provider that is enthusiastic about natural birth. It's really not that late in your pregnancy.

I gave birth with my family doctor, and she was awesomely supportive. Every time I brought up something like delayed cord clamping or labouring at home, she usually answered with "that's a good idea" or "that's what I do anyway". You don't have to stick with someone you feel like it will be a fight with.

• There was a post on the 3rd trimester board of someone who switched practices at 37 weeks!  If you're still pregnant, it's never too late to switch.  Just double check that the new office will see you this late in the game, and make sure they take your insurance.

It's more important for you to feel comfortable with your birthing experience than to stay with a single doctor the whole time.  If you aren't comfortable with their answers, start interviewing other doctors/midwives.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • 28 weeks is not too late at all, you should definitely look for a new provider.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• I switched at 28 weeks.  It is not too late.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• 28 weeks is not late in the game.  If you look below, someone just switched at 37 weeks.

Why in the world would would you want to stay with someone who is not supportive?  IMO hiring a supportive care provider is the #1 thing you can do to have a successful natural birth. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I never post here, but was just lurking and wanted to say I switched at 32ish weeks because we moved halfway across the country.  My new OB's policy was that they wanted to review my records prior to accepting me as a patient.  My previous OB's NP took care of the referral and getting the new OB all of the information.  Granted it is a different situation, but changing OBs later in pregnancy really isn't that big of a deal.
  • OP: I wrote a very similar post last week. My OB is really, really good as a physician but a total skeptic about natural birth ("you may think you know what you want, but you probably don't"). We are going to tour a birthing center at another hospital that has midwife care. Assuming that goes well, I'm going to switch and go with the midwife. Fighting a battle with my OB is one thing I don't need - and I'm sure you feel the same!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"