Multiples

Opinions on moving out of state. (long)

Ok so background info first. I am a teacher in Mississippi. Our salary is not that great but I get paid for 10 weeks off in the summer, 1 for Thanksgiving, 2 for Christmas, 1 for Spring Break and the health benefits are pretty good as we have all our kids on it. It's not a bad deal. I am at work at 7 and home by 330 everyday.

My husband currently stays home with our twins. He doesn't have college degree - he's working on it online and it just made the best sense for him to stay home and quit his job.

Myself and my mom have always been like BFF super close,well rewind the past 12 months and a  week after I had the girls and while they were still in NICU she told me she was leaving my dad. She is with a new guy and happy with him but we see each other now maybe once a week and we email and text but our relationship suffered big time, which I'm actually ok with b/c it brought me closer to DH (I should have been this close to him in the beginning but I was still relying on my parents too much) I have grown from this and now my DH and 3 kids are my everything. We don't really use any parents for help. In laws will bring us diapers and such alot during the month but help wise with watching the kids its just us and we like are routine.

We are seriously considering a move to Tennesse in the summer. I have found a school district where if I were hired on I would start making 10,000 more a year than I make now and we really like the area and think we would be starting fresh with just our family of 5 and might really welcome a fresh look on everything. We are living in a city in Mississippi that we both grew up in (we actually grew up on the same street, haha) and we are feeling like it might just be best finacially and best for our family to just move on. My mom tends to have alot of drama these days - she is on her 2nd relationship since the divorce and is having issues with the boyfriends kids and honestly I want to just get away from everything.

OPINIONS ARE WANTED! TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Opinions on moving out of state. (long)

• I live in middle TN and would love another MoM friend!!!

But seriously, I am in the same boat as you. I have had a hard time accepting that our family of four is now my immediately family and my parents are an extension of that. DH has understood that all along (maybe because his family lives up north). I would be scared to death to move away from my family (although they arent really helpful all the time), but I would if it would be best for my family in the long run.

It is a tough decision! If you need any info or insight, I grew up in East Tennessee but have living in middle TN for about 8 years so PM me!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Caitdana: I will definitely PM tonight- for some reason work allows me to post on boards but it blocks me from PMing.
    I will be writing you tonight!

THanks so much!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • well, I would do it, but I don't love where we live. I grew up here, and we moved back for work/professional reasons, but I hope to leave eventually (10 years or so). I'm not close to my family though. The biggest thing IMO is starting over socially - I've been gone for a long time so we don't really have a social network here (outside my small, immediate family, which isn't too helpful) and that's tough.
  • We moved 3000 miles away from our families a year after DH and I got married ( he is Air Force). It was great for us we came to depend on each other. When we had DS it. Was great and we loved being just family of 3. Now that we are having trio we can't wait to move home. For us now it will just be to hard to be away from family with 4 kids so young. My DH travels a lot for work like home 17 weeks last year so I need the help. But I will say us moving was the best thing ever and I would not change it. Good luck with choice.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH and I moved out of state one week after we got married.  It was wonderful because we started our marriage off with only each other to rely on. I really feel like that gave us a solid foundation.  (The pastor who married us even said that he tells all his couples to move away from home!) ; )

In terms of the kids seeing their grandparents, that was more difficult.  We were about a 12 hour drive away, so we'd see family for a weekend at a time, but obviously less frequently.  In some ways, we actually felt closer to them because we spent the whole weekend without distractions. 

DH got a job offer back in MI (home to us), so we moved back about 3 years ago.  It's been really nice to have grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins close enough to attend all of the kids' b-day parties, some sports events, holidays, etc.  We still miss NH and the friends we made there, but we'll probably stay put now.

Good luck! 

~Crystal~ SAHM to Sam (5), Hugh (3), Mary & Grace (22 months) : )
  • Just by reading your post, it sounds like you really want to move.  I'd say go for it!  You can always come home. Good luck!!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"