Breastfeeding
Options

Foods to avoid?

So it seems that my inlaws all think there is a long list of things that I am not supposed to eat since I am nursing my daughter... she is almost 4 weeks. They keep making comments, like isn't it hard to avoid the things you like that she shouldn't have? or my mother in law is coming to visit and wants to cook supper (great!) but she said maybe I will send you my ideas and you can pick what would work best for baby...?? did I miss something? I wasn't under the impression that there is a long list of things that I should be avoiding!?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Foods to avoid?

• Options
    You don't have to avoid any foods just because you're BF.  The only reason you may need to would be if your baby was sensitive to something like dairy, spicy food, chocolate, caffeine, etc.  Most babies aren't affected though and you don't need to change your diet unless you notice a reaction.  Here is a kellymom page if you want more info.  Good luck with your ILs.  Unfortunately it's probably just the start of all the bad parenting advice you're going to hear.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There are some herbs to avoid while breastfeeding, because they can decrease supply.  But I don't know of any specific foods, unless your child has shown an intolerance of some kind.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The only thing that seems to bother my LO so far is brussel sprouts.He got pretty gassy (as did the rest of us).

Eat everything until it seems to be a problem. That's been my policy. 

• Options

My LC said to eat like I was pregnant - avoid raw meats, heat lunch meat, etc... - but I asked the ped about it because I hadn't heard that and she said there were no dietary restrictions unless something bothers him!

My trigger foods are onions, peppers, and broccoli. I also to make sure I only have one serving of dairy between each feeding.

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"