D.C. Area Babies

Day trip with a 6 week old?

Our baby will be 6 weeks this coming weekend, and I'm thinking it would be nice to do a day trip/get out somewhere...we've had a lot of visitors in recent weeks, and are looking forward to "just us" this weekend.

Am I crazy to think a day trip would be do-able?

If not, any recommendations on where to go? Especially somewhere that would allow us to spend some time outdoors?

Re: Day trip with a 6 week old?

• Good for you for even having this idea.  Depending on your baby, I think it is totally doable.  A lot of babies are good car/motion sleepers, so you can plan the drive around sleepy times, and then be pushing a stroller/wearing baby for another nap.  Depending on if you BF or FF, you'll want to plan a strategy there since you may not have access to warm water for bottles if you are outside or may not be used to NIP.  The good thing about babies that little is that they can be really flexible and go with it.  I don't have specific recommendations from experience but I imagine Skyline drive or a big park out west could be pretty at this time of year.  Good luck. 
  • we got on a plane and went to florida for two weeks when DD was 6 weeks. i think a day trip is totally doable!

you could take a trip to shenandoah, or west va (harper's ferry, berkeley springs). 

good advice to plan driving time around normal sleeping times. and be sure to pack snacks and water for you so when you stop to feed LO, you can have a snack too.

pack a big bag wtih everything you might need, and a smaller one for the absolute essentials (a couple diapers, a small travel wipes case, an extra outfit, etc.) that you can take wtih you away from the car.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It's definitely doable. Just keep in mind that traveling with a baby takes twice as long as what you're used to, so I wouldn't go too  far away. But somewhere within 2 hours or so is definitely doable.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It's doable but i'll echo what Wines said - double the amount of time that you would normally take. Definitely do it if your baby is good in the carseat - mine was not and we attempted a trip at that age that did not go so smoothly. I think if they're a fairly relaxed baby who can sleep in lots of places, it's totally doable. Good luck!
                                             Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • Thanks for the advice!

• ditto the pps, if your baby is good in the car, then definitely do it! this is a great time to do stuff like that because they just sleep all the time and are so "portable" :-) Have lots of fun!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"