Babies: 9 - 12 Months

from 86% to 45% What?!?!

I just took my 9 month old to his 9 month well appointment, and he went from being in the 86% at his 6 month (and 4 and 2 month) appointment to being in the 45% now!

Our pediatrician seemed a little bit concerned, but after we talked about what my baby is eating and how often he's nursing, she just told me that maybe he is readjusting his weight curve to what his new "normal" will be (because my husband and I are petite people and 86% seemed like a big baby for us to have).

I think I am going to call my pediatrician to clarify what she was saying, but basically, she didn't give me any clear directives. She just said, I "could start supplementing if I wanted to." And that I "could cut out one of our nursing sessions and supplement with table food." (which I was planning on doing soon anyway to have him be weaned by the time he is one)

Anyway, I'm not overly worried because my pediatrician didn't seem overly worried - but I am a little bit concerned, and wondering if any of your LO's have jumped percentiles so rapidly?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: from 86% to 45% What?!?!

• This happened to us from his 4 month weight (100%ile) to his 6 month weight (way lower %ile, can't remember the exact #).  I probably wouldn't worry about it yet, at least not until it was a consistently lower %ile at further appts.  Don't forget your LO is a lot more mobile now too, so their weight will fluctuate more as a result.
  • My dd dropped from 55% to 20% in weight from 6 months to 9 months. I don't think the pedi was too worried because she had started crawling and being more active during that time. She is also 95% for height and that has been consistent. I am not sure, but I think he would be more concerned if we went back and her weight had continued to decline at 12 months. HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Did he recently start crawling, by any chance? Most babies plateau in weight gain and can drop in the % charts when they reach new milestones like crawling and walking. But as he's still actually gaining weight, then there's usually nothing to worry about. 
  • We had our 9 mth today, and he is still 95+ for height but went from 50% for weight at 6 mths to 25% today.  She wasn't concerned at all.  She said that it's common for their weight to change as they get more mobile and are therefore burning more calories everyday.  She said as long as he's eating well, not to worry about it. 

We FF so I know exactly how much he's eating everyday.  I can see potential concern if you're nursing and therefore not positive how much he's actually taking in.  But my pedi wasn't concerned at all.

I'd ask for more information so you're not having to worry.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • My little dude was 22lbs at 6 or 7 months old. Now, at 11 months, he's 23lbs and the other babies have caught up to him. The doctor's not concerned.
    IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageRileyGrace:

We had our 9 mth today, and he is still 95+ for height but went from 50% for weight at 6 mths to 25% today.  She wasn't concerned at all.  She said that it's common for their weight to change as they get more mobile and are therefore burning more calories everyday.  She said as long as he's eating well, not to worry about it. 

We FF so I know exactly how much he's eating everyday.  I can see potential concern if you're nursing and therefore not positive how much he's actually taking in.  But my pedi wasn't concerned at all.

I'd ask for more information so you're not having to worry.

Exactly this.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We went today and he had only grown 1 inch since his 6 month apt, which seemed odd to me. But the pedi wasn't concerned since we was still going on his curve, and he had gained 3.5 pounds in the 3 months. He said its also possible that the measurements are not 100% accurate- so like the nurse could have short changed him an inch or the last nurse added an a little etc since they are wiggle worms now on that table its not as accurate as when then are small newborns.

But anyway the pedi was showing me the curves- they shoot straight up from 0-6 months then 6 months and on the curve angles out to the side and is spread out more since they become mobile around 6 months and they are not gaining as much weight as fast and sprouting up as much as newborns. Try not to worry!!

Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've heard that BF babies slow down their growth a lot.  If I were you, I wouldn't do anything.  If you start supplementing, be prepared to possibly have supply issues.  My little guy dropped off the charts completely at 9 months and I was told to stop BFing except for morning and night.  My supply plummeted and it is now one month later and he's pretty much completely weaned.  I haven't BFed him since maybe Saturday.  But then again, I don't think I ever had a really awesome supply.  At least I was never able to pump much if that's any indication.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"