Trying to Get Pregnant

Speechless

Ladies, I'm pretty speechless right now because of an e-mail I received from a good friend of DH and mine.  He was actually a groomsman at our wedding and is my best friend's fiance.

Basically, out of nowhere he sent an e-mail saying that he knows we want to have children but we should reconsider because, "Pretty much humans are going to consume and destroy the Earth's natural resources... and eventually cause the decline of the human species."  And, "I remember you saying that you wanted to have kids, but I would seriously think that over (I am definitely never going to reproduce) because of what our planet has to contend with such over-population (competition for resources typically leads to wars, famine, pestilence etc.)" 

In addition, he adds that my children will likely suffer from migraines like I do and that the brain tumor my DH had was due to pollution and over population.

He ended the e-mail with, "p.s. like I told you guys a while ago, if you guys have kids, don't even ask us to babysit, answer will be an emphatic No, but once we get a pet friendly apt., we'd be way more than happy to Doggy sit!!!!"

My stomach is in knots.  WTH?  I'm not feeling angry, just hurt.

I just wanted to share because I'm stunned.

Thanks.

Anniversary *TTC since 09/11 *Me-29 (low AMH) *DH-35 (moderately low sperm count) *First RE appointment 09/12 *IUI #1 with injectables 12/12 image

Re: Speechless

• Is he a vegetarian? If not, he's a hypocrite. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WTF? He sounds mentally unstable. I would just ignore it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Is he off his meds? That 7 billionth child story must've really gotten to him. Nice of him to personalize it to you guys. 
  • He's very much into eating meat.
    Anniversary *TTC since 09/11 *Me-29 (low AMH) *DH-35 (moderately low sperm count) *First RE appointment 09/12 *IUI #1 with injectables 12/12 image
  • Yeah, I think he was reading that 7 billionth child thing. 
  • imagereinstone:
    Is he a vegetarian? If not, he's a hypocrite. 
    This exactly. If you want to talk about pollution and destruction I can give you some sh*t to say to him.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd write back and ask him how much weed he was smoking when he came up with his brilliant ode to Mother Earth.

Honestly, try not to be hurt by it....feel more sorry for your best friend who is marrying him.

• imageNikko Blue:
    WTF? He sounds mentally unstable. I would just ignore it.

This. 

• imageNikko Blue:
    WTF? He sounds mentally unstable. I would just ignore it.

That's what I'm going to try to do.

• If I was your best friend, I would be embarrassed!  Yeesh.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC since 3/2011
    BFP #1: 11/23/2011 EDD: 8/8/2012 c/p: 11/28/2011
    BFP #2: 3/7/2012 EDD: 11/17/2012
  • imageFreyaWin2382:

I'd write back and ask him how much weed he was smoking when he came up with his brilliant ode to Mother Earth.

Honestly, try not to be hurt by it....feel more sorry for your best friend who is marrying him.

I wouldn't doubt that he was smoking weed when writing the e-mail.  I'm pretty sure that she knows nothing about this.  Sad.

• He sounds a bit mental... I wouldn't even respond.

This.  

• While he had no business talking to you about your choice to have children in the manner that he did, I have several friends who are GINKS (green inclination, no kids), and they are not crazy.

It has become  acceptable for mixed-race couples to have children, and single women, and gay couples, and women over the age of 40, and that's all good. Acceptance has been slower to come for the decision not to have children. There's now a fledgling childfree movement, but some who are part of it say they still feel like they're violating a taboo....Real reproductive freedom has to include social acceptance of the decision not to reproduce.which will mean less pressure on women and men who don't feel called to become parents, as well as less of a stigma on people who may have wanted to become parents but didn't get the chance

(From https://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/sep/27/not-have-children-environmental-reasons)

Other Info

https://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/having-children-brings-high-carbon-impact/

ETA-

The migraine and tumor part was just fuvked up, but the other stuff is what I am talking about.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 3/17/10 Missed M/C Confirmed 4/12/10

MIF+Unexplained DX Feb 2012: Femara+Trigger+IUI=BFP AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Wow. I just read this to DH and he said "tell him to go put his tinfoil hat back in and go watch "conspiracy theory again". He definitely sounds mentally unstable.  

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Sounds like somebody needs a good psychiatrist.
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Just like Reagan said "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" well...everyone who is against reproducing has already been born. What a diickwad!! Seriously, he is disturbed!
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMeow84:

I am being 100% serious when I ask if he is mentally ill. Sounds like some kind of rant/tirade that someone with delusions or psychotic features would make.

This

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • wow. this guy's off his rocker! ignore him, he's one of those that like to preach rediculousness and call themselves innovative.

BTW LOVE your last name mrscoffman! That was my maiden name (still getting used to not using it!)

• Indifferent I am so sorry! I can't imagine getting an e-mail like that.
    Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • imageMeow84:

I am being 100% serious when I ask if he is mentally ill. Sounds like some kind of rant/tirade that someone with delusions or psychotic features would make.

I was thinking the same thing here. I'm a therapist and, without having enough information to diagnose, my first thought would be to determine whether he was having a psychotic break. It can start with small signs of paranoia or weak reality testing.

• imageSaltylove:
    imageMilliways:

I'm all for this kind of movement-everyone has the right to choose, IMHO. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said he had no business commenting on OP's choice to have children. As much as others should respect his choice to not have childen for the reasons he gave, his email is disrespectful and insensitive. I don't know about mental health, but some people can be incredibly hurtful when they are trying to push their point of view. Not cool.

This! Im totally for people being able to do whatever they want. Have children, dont have them, eat meat, dont eat meat, drive a humungo suv, drive a prius...choices are our own. What I dont like is when people try to convince or push their views on others who obviously have no desire to have those same views. He's entitled to his views (i know a few people with the same one) and she's entitled to her desire for children.

• I agree with Milli in that aside from the comments on the migraines and brain tumor, everything else was not that strange. People talk politics and ideologies all the time. You can engage them and find out why they think that way, or just gloss over it.
  • imageSaltylove:
    imageMilliways:

While he had no business talking to you about your choice to have children in the manner that he did, I have several friends who are GINKS (green inclination, no kids), and they are not crazy.

It has become  acceptable for mixed-race couples to have children, and single women, and gay couples, and women over the age of 40, and that's all good. Acceptance has been slower to come for the decision not to have children. There's now a fledgling childfree movement, but some who are part of it say they still feel like they're violating a taboo....Real reproductive freedom has to include social acceptance of the decision not to reproduce.which will mean less pressure on women and men who don't feel called to become parents, as well as less of a stigma on people who may have wanted to become parents but didn't get the chance

(From https://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/sep/27/not-have-children-environmental-reasons)

Other Info

https://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/having-children-brings-high-carbon-impact/

I'm all for this kind of movement-everyone has the right to choose, IMHO. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said he had no business commenting on OP's choice to have children. As much as others should respect his choice to not have childen for the reasons he gave, his email is disrespectful and insensitive. I don't know about mental health, but some people can be incredibly hurtful when they are trying to push their point of view. Not cool.

Yes  to both these posts. In a random coincidence, I spent part of this evening reading some history of  childfree women for a research paper - it was really interesting to me how stigma around this has hardly changed since the 19th century.

And OP, ignore that incredibly rude ranting.

Siggy Note: Drunk Ron Swanson is on a break while Amy Poehler takes over for a while, summing up my thoughts on all this birth control, prenatal testing, women's issues stuff in the news.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    dx: LPD & low progesterone 11/2011
    BFP #1 August 23
  • imagebwe1100:
    imageSaltylove:
    imageMilliways:

While he had no business talking to you about your choice to have children in the manner that he did, I have several friends who are GINKS (green inclination, no kids), and they are not crazy.

Other Info

Yes  to both these posts. In a random coincidence, I spent part of this evening reading some history of  childfree women for a research paper - it was really interesting to me how stigma around this has hardly changed since the 19th century.

And OP, ignore that incredibly rude ranting.

All of this. Yes

** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl came to us through the miracle of
     Mini IVF! **

• Wow....I'm sorry. I don't think he's a real friend. He sounds mentally unstable. Wouldn't trust him to watch my pet, nevermind children.....
  • imageAli&Luke:
    Meh. He sounds like a loon to me, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Exactly what I was thinking! Although, getting an email like that would upset me too! 

*TW, Child and loss mentioned*

Me: 28, DH: 28
    Married February 2011
    DS born October 2012
    TTC #2 since April 2014
    BFP February 2015, ectopic/ruptured, right tube removed
    RE consult January 2016
    Secondary infertility, Severe MFI(double varicocele, low count, 0% morph)
    IUI- March 2016, BFN
    IVF #1- July/Aug 2016(Antagonist protocol), 30 eggs retrieved, 21 mature,
            17 fertilized via ICSI, but 0 made it to blast
    IVF #2 in January/February 2017(Long lupron protocol)

• imagemrscoffman091011:

I wouldn't doubt that he was smoking weed when writing the e-mail.  I'm pretty sure that she knows nothing about this.  Sad.

Maybe you should forward the email to her. You don't even have to write anything in the message... just send it along as is.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I personally don't mind his decision to not procreate.  It's what is best for the world, after all. 

What an idiot.

• imageJBM1204:
    imageMeow84:

I was thinking the same thing here. I'm a therapist and, without having enough information to diagnose, my first thought would be to determine whether he was having a psychotic break. It can start with small signs of paranoia or weak reality testing.

I agree. Don't take anything he says too seriously.

Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • imageinHindsight:
    Is he off his meds? That 7 billionth child story must've really gotten to him. Nice of him to personalize it to you guys. 

This - woah

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageFreyaWin2382:

I'd write back and ask him how much weed he was smoking when he came up with his brilliant ode to Mother Earth.

This exactly, and be glad that you didn't marry a man with such crazy and judgemental views on life. If having children feels right for you, then that is exactly what you should do.

• Sounds harsh but cut your loses.. you find out who your real friends are when you get KU... it's sad but true! He obviously won't be a good person to be around much longer.. sorry he's gone off the deep end!
  • imagecanthardlywait426:

Wow. I just read this to DH and he said "tell him to go put his tinfoil hat back in and go watch "conspiracy theory again". He definitely sounds mentally unstable.  

LOL.. Definitely this. Yes
  • Wow! And this is who you guys chose to be in your wedding about a month ago? Did you have any idea that this guy was looney?
    BabyFruit Ticker

PCOS--TTC since 11/2010:   
    5 cycles of Clomid: all BFN, 1 cycle of Follistim:CP
    1 year break thanks to deployment.
    1 cycle Follistim: BFN, Lap to remove peritubal cyst May 2013
    2 cycles Follistim + trigger: BFN, Gonal F +IUI April 2014: BFP!!!!!! 

Boy/Girl Twins due Jan 5, 2015!!! 

• imageMeow84:
    imageJBM1204:
    imageMeow84:

I'm a therapist also :) What population do you work with?

I'm a therapist too and so is his fianc?! I agree with you.
  • Thank you for all your responses. I really appreciate it. :)
  • imageCityBee:
    What a nut. Sorry you had to hear something so ludicrous from a close friend. I would pay no attention to it or even give it a response. I mostly feel bad for your friend that is going to marry him.
    This.
    ~ Waiting for our Little Spartan~
    Our Baby Boy is due September 8, 2012
  • imagegrahambaby:

wow. this guy's off his rocker! ignore him, he's one of those that like to preach rediculousness and call themselves innovative.

BTW LOVE your last name mrscoffman! That was my maiden name (still getting used to not using it!)

Yay for Coffmans!
  • imageon_a_whim:
    imagecanthardlywait426:

Wow. I just read this to DH and he said "tell him to go put his tinfoil hat back in and go watch "conspiracy theory again". He definitely sounds mentally unstable.  

LOL.. Definitely this. Yes

I am late to this thread, but I totally agree with the bold statement. 

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"