Trying to Get Pregnant

Need to lose weight before I TTC

My doctor recommended that I lose at least 20 lbs before I begin TTC. Any one else *have* to lose weight? Is there anyone that chose to and what did you do to lose weight? I'm having a difficult time staying focused and everyone keeps telling me not to bother bc I'l just gain it all back anyway. I need support!
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Need to lose weight before I TTC

• I was told to lose weight as well, not because it prevents pregnancy or would harm a baby (necessarily) but because, if I had to have surgery or any complications it would be more difficult to treat me at the weight I was at.

I am really trying to excercise and make more meals at home (versus eating out). So far I've dropped about 5-6 lbs, and if I could get my butt in gear and REALLY try, I could lose a lot more.

I haven't stopped TTC, I just figure the stuff I'm doing isn't crazy, and it's stuff I should keep up whether I am pregnant or not. So, I guess my (completely unqualified, non-medical) opinion is not to let losing weight hold you back from trying.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor never said I 'had' to (as in 'avoid until I do) but said what the difficulties might be and why and suggested focusing on eating health (done!) and exercising more (*shameface*). Having said that, I have known quite a few women with much higher BMIs than mine who had no difficulties either conceiving or through the pregnancy and birth but it can put you at increased risk for things like gestational diabetes.  

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the input ladies. I'll continue to eat healthy and try to exercise. Everything I read online and in books talk about how important it is to be of normal weight before getting pregnant. They make it seem like being overweight is the worst thing in the world. My obgyn (nurse practitioner) was really rude to be about last time. If she is rude at my next appointment I'll be looking for a new practice. Best of luck to you! 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Hey there, I'm afraid my doc will tell me that too. I know I'm overweight, but they act like it's so terrible. Very discouraging. But I'm not going to stop trying. I'll just continue to exercise and try to eat healthier( not easy during the holidays) GL hun
  • I decided when I injured my back and had 2 bulging discs that i needed to do something if I wanted to have kids. I started ww and gave up sugar and white flour and exercised a few times a week and lost 53 pounds.

I was borderline hypertension back in the day and now it is normal. I have gained about 7 pounds back and working it off. A resp. Dr will tell you to try to lose weight so that you don't have to risk complications, however some of them are really ignorant about it.I had a midwife that was rude about my bmi and i told her that i am working on it. What you are suppose to not try until you are the perfect weight.NOPE! Keep up the great work all of us and especially OP.

Married BF 6/29/2002/
    TTC Since Aug 2011/
    ME:34 all clear/DH:41 DX Severe MFI/
    IVF w/ICSI OCT 2012 Stims started 10/8/ER 10/19/12/ET 10/24/Beta#1 11/2=BFN (beta was 1.2)

IVF 2.0-Baseline 11/7/12 beta 0/All Clear
    Stim start 11/7/12//ER 11/19 11M//10F
    ET 2 embies 11/24//Beta#1 28 Beta #2 23 Beta#3 29
    stop meds Beta#4 37/C/P 5W5D EDD:8/12/13/IVF#3 in Jan

Ivf 3-frozen 3 poor 3day/fet=bfn

Ivf#4 New dr. New protocol=beta1 197 beta#2 677 beta#3 1557
     u/s 8/13 =TWINS 2 strong hb
    Due Date 4/4/14

My Chart//>

• My doctor recommended weight loss as well back at my annual last year when we talked about TTC. I've lost about 20lbs since then and still plan on losing more eventually (I've kinda plateaued and gotten lazy). Being a healthy weight can help your chances & help you have a healthy pregnancy as well. I wouldn't not lose weight "cause you'll gain it all back anyway" - who knows how long it will take you to get pregnant. 
  • I have every intention of losing every pound I possibly can before I get pregnant. But losing weight isn't easy. I also have every intention to not take advantage of the fact that when I'm pregnant it's a free for all. I cannot afford to put on 30 pounds, let alone 40+. So I have the mindset that when I get pregnant, I can't eat for two, because you're really not. An extra 300 calories a day doesn't mean three extra meals a day. 
  • I am very overweight, and I haven't been told I HAVE to lose it. Sure, I need to lose it for health reasons, but I discussed TTC with my doctor and he asked about my cycles. That's it. Despite needing to lose maybe 130 pounds, my cycles are great, and I eat much healthier than I used to my whole life. Of course I'm working on getting healthier but in terms of TTC I'm good to go. 
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • imagepunkrockabye:
    I am very overweight, and I haven't been told I HAVE to lose it. Sure, I need to lose it for health reasons, but I discussed TTC with my doctor and he asked about my cycles. That's it. Despite needing to lose maybe 130 pounds, my cycles are great, and I eat much healthier than I used to my whole life. Of course I'm working on getting healthier but in terms of TTC I'm good to go. 

My new dr loved my charts too, they are right on the money every month was not concerned with weight either other then saying they may watch once pregnant. I do eat my healthier too. I have about 130 to lose also.

Married BF 6/29/2002/
    TTC Since Aug 2011/
    ME:34 all clear/DH:41 DX Severe MFI/
    IVF w/ICSI OCT 2012 Stims started 10/8/ER 10/19/12/ET 10/24/Beta#1 11/2=BFN (beta was 1.2)

IVF 2.0-Baseline 11/7/12 beta 0/All Clear
    Stim start 11/7/12//ER 11/19 11M//10F
    ET 2 embies 11/24//Beta#1 28 Beta #2 23 Beta#3 29
    stop meds Beta#4 37/C/P 5W5D EDD:8/12/13/IVF#3 in Jan

Ivf 3-frozen 3 poor 3day/fet=bfn

Ivf#4 New dr. New protocol=beta1 197 beta#2 677 beta#3 1557
     u/s 8/13 =TWINS 2 strong hb
    Due Date 4/4/14

My Chart//>

• My doctor told me today that she would like to see me lose at least 10 lbs. before moving forward, but she didn't prohibit me from TTC. I'm definitely heavier than I used to be, and I knew I needed to lose a few pounds, so it didn't come as a huge shock or anything.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'd love to lose 10-20 pounds but am having real trouble getting motivated because I keep hoping I'll get KU each month and, like you said, gain it all back! I think it'll be much easier to get motivated to lose baby weight after I finally have a baby. Sigh...
  • If your doctor suggests losing weight before TTC, you probably should do your best to try. There are a lot of issues that could arise if you're overweight and pregnant, that may not happen if you're in a healthy BMI.

The people telling you not to bother because you'll just gain it back.. just ignore them. Yes you will probably gain weight while pregnant (although some overweight people do not)... but it will be BABY and water and placenta....

I do have something great that people are having amazing success on. A friend of mine has been doing it 3 weeks and has lost 14 lbs already, and that's just one story. It's also super EASY. I'm not allowed to post my website here, but I'll PM you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"