Trying to Get Pregnant

Exercise/body question

I was wondering if anyone here was knowledgeable about exercise and the body here?  Wanted to see if someone could explain something to me.  The last about 5 months I have put on 10 pounds.  I recently got back into working out from not working out at all.  I do the 30 day shred video everyday.  I have done it the past 6 days straight.  I weighed myself today and I weighed about 1.5 pounds MORE!  How the heck did I gain a pound and a half after 6 days of exercise and eating well.  I am so frustration and feeling down on myself.  It is hard to have the motivation to keep going when i am not seeing results...I am seeing myself going backwards.  Any explanation for this?
My Ovulation Chart Hoping for a shamrock baby....Grandma, I know you are up there looking down on me. March and St Patrick's Day is a very special time for all of us. It would be amazing to find out I was pregnant in March! Please send me all your Irish luck (been trying for 7 months and I need it!) I Love you! XOXOXOXO

Re: Exercise/body question

• Muscle weighs more than fat.  If you're gaining muscle, chances are you're gaining weight.  However, it's a good weight to lose.  You should be more concerned with your BMI (i.e. fat percentage) than number of pounds. Also, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape (no pun intended) about weight change in a matter of 6 days.  My doc has recommended that if women want to see whats going on with their weight, the comparisions should be made at the same points in their cycles since it varies throughout due to water weight and hormones.

HTH!

~ Waiting for our Little Spartan~
    Our Baby Boy is due September 8, 2012
  • Thanks, Yeah maybe my body is having issues right now.  I got my period 3 days ago so hopefully that is just the reason.  I used to do weight watches and remember loosing at least 1-2 pounds a week so I guess I was looking to see a little bit of a loss.  Hopefully soon!
    My Ovulation Chart Hoping for a shamrock baby....Grandma, I know you are up there looking down on me. March and St Patrick's Day is a very special time for all of us. It would be amazing to find out I was pregnant in March! Please send me all your Irish luck (been trying for 7 months and I need it!) I Love you! XOXOXOXO
  • Loading the player...
  • Make sure you weigh yourself at the same time every day. Your weight can vary 5 lbs in a given day. I typically weigh myself in the morning before my shower.

• imageSpartyMom2B:

Muscle weighs more than fat.  If you're gaining muscle, chances are you're gaining weight.  However, it's a good weight to lose.  You should be more concerned with your BMI (i.e. fat percentage) than number of pounds. Also, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape (no pun intended) about weight change in a matter of 6 days.  My doc has recommended that if women want to see whats going on with their weight, the comparisions should be made at the same points in their cycles since it varies throughout due to water weight and hormones.

HTH!

In addition to this, I suggest going by the fit of your clothes rather than the weight on your scale. Your weight may fluctuate due to the point in your cycle, water weight, gaining muscle, etc, but you could be losing overall inches around your waist, arms, butt, etc. Keep at it! It's a process!

• I have done an boot camp and I was similar to you. I was vry upset after the first week when I saw that I gained weight instead of lost weight. I went to my trainer very discouraged and like a PP said they mentioned the muscle weighs more than fat. Since I am a "needs results" kind of person my trainer recommended to find an outfit that is currently a bit snug on you. They said to try the outfit one once a week and you can notice improvements quicker that way. You may not necessarily lose weight but your body is changing for the better... This has definitely helped keep me motivated.

• Congrats for getting started with the 30 day shred!  I really liked those videos.  Try to stick with it for the full 30 days and look for measures other than #lbs to mark your progress until the scale starts to move. These include: are you getting stronger? Can you do more reps or the harder version of an exercise?  Do your clothes fit better? Keep at it for the full 30 days.Then pick another video to tackle. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I weight myself the same time each morning.

I have never gotten the muscle weighs more then fat thing.  5 pounds of fat and 5 pounds of muscle, both weigh 5 pounds.  I do get though that 5 pounds of muscle takes up less space then 5 pounds of fat.

I have noticed a difference in my endurance since the first day.  I can do everything now without stopping and I am not getting as out of breath.  I also do notice that my lower belly pooch is getting smaller. I will try the outfit idea.  I guess I am just big on numbers right now knowing that I gained 10 pounds..and now 11.5 after these past 6 days. 

• imageOceanbabe2012:

I weight myself the same time each morning.

I have never gotten the muscle weighs more then fat thing.  5 pounds of fat and 5 pounds of muscle, both weigh 5 pounds.  I do get though that 5 pounds of muscle takes up less space then 5 pounds of fat.

By mass it is the same, by volume it is not.  For example, 5 pounds of brick is the same weight as 5 pounds of feathers.  Yes, they both weigh 5 pounds, but the bag of feathers will be a whole lot bigger. 

~ Waiting for our Little Spartan~
    Our Baby Boy is due September 8, 2012
  • imageSpartyMom2B:
    imageOceanbabe2012:

By mass it is the same, by volume it is not.  For example, 5 pounds of brick is the same weight as 5 pounds of feathers.  Yes, they both weigh 5 pounds, but the bag of feathers will be a whole lot bigger. 

That doesn't mean that muscle weighs more than fat. It means that as you are losing fat and replacing it with muscle, you could have more muscle in a place that you had a lot of fat so you would probably weigh more, but probably not since it's actually quite hard to really gain a lot of muscle mass unless you are being super diligent, esp. for women. I've done 30 Day Shred and doing it for a week is not going to add 1.5 pounds of muscle.

OP, your body is probably holding on to water to repair your muscles from all the work they've been doing by doing 30DS for 6 days in a row. I didn't read all the posts, but also make sure that you aren't eating more just because you're working out now. Perhaps try couting calories for a week to see that your eating is under control. Also take a day off every 4 days or so to give your body a chance to recover. Jillian Michaels said that 30DS wasn't meant to be done for 30 days in a row, but to space it out over probably 6 weeks, doing it 5 days a week.

TTC: 8/11    BFP: 5/13   EDD:2/2/14   Born 1/13/14

• imageBioGirl21:
    imageSpartyMom2B:
    imageOceanbabe2012:

That doesn't mean that muscle weighs more than fat. It means that as you are losing fat and replacing it with muscle, you could have more muscle in a place that you had a lot of fat so you would probably weigh more, but probably not since it's actually quite hard to really gain a lot of muscle mass unless you are being super diligent, esp. for women. I've done 30 Day Shred and doing it for a week is not going to add 1.5 pounds of muscle.

OP, your body is probably holding on to water to repair your muscles from all the work they've been doing by doing 30DS for 6 days in a row. I didn't read all the posts, but also make sure that you aren't eating more just because you're working out now. Perhaps try couting calories for a week to see that your eating is under control. Also take a day off every 4 days or so to give your body a chance to recover. Jillian Michaels said that 30DS wasn't meant to be done for 30 days in a row, but to space it out over probably 6 weeks, doing it 5 days a week.

All of this!  You pretty much took the words out of my mouth.  I strongly suggest keeping track of the calories you eat and burn to be certain you a creating a calorie deficit.  I use my fitness pal, which makes it really easy to keep track of everything.  They have a website and app, but any similar program would work just as well.  It sounds like you're already making positive changes!  Just remember, it takes time to see results.  Don't get discouraged!  Keep working at it, and you will see a difference! GL! Smile 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A few things I want to add:

1- You said you got your period 3 days ago, I am usually about 3-4 lbs heavier the whole week of my period, it's crazy to see the scale after a couple days following my period. So don't let that discourage you.

2- Are you drinking a lot of water? When I eat healthier I drink a lot more water, so you could be gaining water weight, which is good, your body needs the water to keep your metabolism going and eventually you will be losing fat lbs.

3- Do you feel bloated or constipated? When I go from eating like crap and sitting on the couch to eat healthy and exercising (especially 6 days in a row) my body goes "what the heck are you doing to me?!?" So it might take your body a little time to adjust.

4- Try only weighing yourself every 2 weeks. Take pictures in a bikini right now and once a month, it is so fun to see the transformation. I still look back at my before and after pictures.

Have you done the 30 day shred before? I did it about 2 years ago, along with rollerblading and I lost 25 lbs. In my siggy pic I was about 2/3 of the way through it, so I lost like 8 more lbs. I loved doing that program, it works so well, I keep trying to start it again.... 

imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • It is true that muscle weighs more than fat, but also remember that women's wait fluctuates A LOT! This can be due to PMS, bloating, time of day you weight yourself, etc.  Try weighing yourself first thing in the morning.  Don't give up either, because the weight will come off if you follow your workout and diet routine.  Also, it sometimes takes awhile for you to see results from working out.  It can take up to six weeks for the weight to really start falling off.  If you just started working out six days ago, that's pretty soon to start seeing results.

Good luck, and PS...I love the Shred!

• Go by the fit of your clothes rather than the number on the scale. Like PP said, a lot of the time, we will all gain weight before it is lost because muscle weighs more than fat. You could be losing fat, but gaining muscle, which is why the number on the scale may be going up. Also, if you are working out more, you are probably drinking more water as well, which would contribute to water weight. If you are feeling good about yourself and your body, keep doing what you are doing. Maybe step away from the scale for a little while if it is making you lose motivation. Good luck!
    *TW, Child and loss mentioned*

Me: 28, DH: 28
    Married February 2011
    DS born October 2012
    TTC #2 since April 2014
    BFP February 2015, ectopic/ruptured, right tube removed
    RE consult January 2016
    Secondary infertility, Severe MFI(double varicocele, low count, 0% morph)
    IUI- March 2016, BFN
    IVF #1- July/Aug 2016(Antagonist protocol), 30 eggs retrieved, 21 mature,
            17 fertilized via ICSI, but 0 made it to blast
    IVF #2 in January/February 2017(Long lupron protocol)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"