February 2012 Moms
Options

I would like to vent too

Ok, I know in the grand scheme of things this probably isn't important but I hope I will better to get it off my chest.  My friend said she was going to have a baby shower for me.  I am due Feb 17 but because of scheduled u/s will probably go around the 10th.  I thought the shower would be in January but she wanted to have it the first of December so I would have time to get things I needed after the shower.  I was ok with that but now she is wanting to push it to December 11th.  That is only two weeks before Christmas!  I think that is a very bad time for everyone, not only timing wise but money wise also.  But since she is hosting it, don't I have to go along with that date?  It is very frustrating to me.  I would rather wait until January so that it is not so bad for everyone.  Please let me know what you think.  Am I just being ungrateful?
BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: I would like to vent too

• Options

Maybe you could mention that to her.. I'm sure she wouldn't mind changing the date...

I would agree with the holidays being so close it might not be the best time for a shower

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think you could gently suggest a change of date. I tried this with my aunt and it didn't work. My shower is the 14th of January - only two weeks before I am due. I HATE the date but I don't think there is much a can do....
    Soon to be Big Sister Eowyn - DOB February 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     BabyFruit Ticker

My family is a Foreign Service family. Families like mine are posted in every corner of the globe. We live our lives away from family, friends and the conviences and comforts of home. We often live and work in dangerous places among those that misunderstand our intentions and purposes. Sometimes members of our ranks sacrifice our lives to further diplomacy.  Please remember that we serve too. And I'm always open to questions.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I think most people would rather have their shower earlier instead of later, so I'm sure that's why she scheduled it for that date. If you have an issue with that date though, talk to her about it.

I don't have any issue with showers in December though (unless it was a night thing). 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker peri-partum cardio myopathy survivor
  • Options

My shower is on the 10th of December and I am due the 16th of February.  My host is a teacher and it worked best for her schedule.  January for me is cutting it too close - it would make me too nervous so I'm excited to not have it so close to my due date. 

Also, nobody is out of town for my shower and because it's a sprinkle I'm not expecting much - it's really just a celebration of being close to friends and family (geographically speaking) this time because none of them got to see me pregnant with DS since we lived too far away and only came for family functions - therefore friends didn't often get to see me. 

Maybe a save-the-date would be helpful so people can obviously put it on their calendars, but also to put into their mind another gift before Christmas.  I doubt anyone would be annoyed or anything - if they are then they don't have to come.  Even a nice card means the world to me and that costs what a couple dollars?

• Options
    I am having my shower dec 10th.  I do not think it is so bad.  no one has said that it is a bad date yet
  • Options
    I don't think it's that big of a deal.  If people know soon enough, then it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options

I thought the same thing but then my DH pointed out this - would you rather have people shopping before or after they get their Christmas bills! 

Big Smile

**I'm not trying to sound greedy/selfish but the way he said it cracked me up!**

• Options
    I'm also due 2/17 but I'm having my shower this upcoming Sat b/c it winds up being agreeable for everyone, both time and moneywise. As the MTB, it's not about you being ungrateful about voicing your opinons about the date. In this situation, I think you need to speak up about it b/c 2wks before Christmas is bad timing for a lot of people and it could affect who's able to show up, not to mention the amount of money one intended to spend on LO's gift. If you can push for an earlier date, do so, that way, it gives you more time to make any exchanges or get whatever else you didn't get gifted, not to mention you'll be smaller and far more comfortable to mingle w/your guests too. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

It is close to the holidays but at the same time, I don't know how much of a difference 10 days would really make (the 1st as opposed to the 11th).  It's hard timing being due in Feb.  I don't think the date is so bad.  Jan is out for me since I could easily be on bedrest (twins) and the snow here could get bad so I think my shower will be around the same time as yours.  It's a few weeks after Thanksgiving and a  couple before Christmas.  Not such a big deal in my eyes. 

Anyone who is planning on coming to your shower and spending money on a gift is probably budgeting for that already anyway so if you thought the 1st od Dec was fine, I really don't think having it 10 days later is a big deal.  If it were me, I wouldn't ask them to change the date.  They are nice enough to plan a party, I would just show up when they tell me to.

Natural BFP - 2/13/10, Natural M/C - 3/9/10 (Missed m/c found at 8wks 4days) Prenatal B/W shows I'm a Beta Thal carrier & so is DH. Onto IVF w/PGD... Jan 2011 - IVF #1 - C/P Mar 2011 - IVF #2 - Day 5 PGD, no ET, 5 snow babies May 2011 - FET #1 - BFP!! Twins!!! 2/9/12 - Our precious miracles arrived! Baby A 7lbs 13oz & Baby B 5lbs 13oz
  • Options
    My baby shower is Dec 11. My sister is planning it and she is having her son's bday party the day before and that makes it easier on my other sister because she lives 3 hrs away and winter in Wi is not the best time to travel a lot. My sister sent out save the date emails to everyone and is sending out the invites this week (6 weeks)before shower. So everyone can think ahead with travel and x-mas things. I didnt want to do a shower in Jan because I want to be able to go might be possible bed rest. My bf's mom wants to have a shower but not until after baby is born because she gave birth to a still born and wants to wait to see if everything is good. At first I didnt like that idea but now I do because we will have most of what we need and they can just get other things for later on when he is older.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"