Northern California Babies
Options

Twin bed and space heater

At our house we don't have central heat.  It is on our to do list.  M loves it virtually steaming in his room at night so we have had a space heater in his room.  One similar to this

https://www.target.com/p/Holmes-Oil-Filled-Heater/-/A-12889336

It took a long time to find a heater he could stand.  He doesn't like strange lights or sounds.  Last year when he was in a crib it didn't matter because he couldn't get out of his crib.  This year he is about to get a twin bed (as soon as it is delivered).  We will be putting up a bed rail but I'm sure he'll be able to get up and down on his own as he's been climbing up on our bed for over a year.

What would you do- risk him getting up in the night or try to open his door after we have gone to bed and use the house wall heater (which is right by his room) and risk him waking up  due to the new baby arriving in a month and a half???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Twin bed and space heater

• Options

Are you worried hes going to touch the space heater, or fiddle with the wall heater?

You could put a baby gate at his door if you don't want him getting out and roaming the house.  

• Options

We also do space heaters in the rooms in the winter and my oldest is a kid that is simply unable to control himself and not push buttons ( he had just turned 2).  After trying to keep it off limits we finally gave up and taught him how to use it, what could be dangerous ect and it worked really well with both the boys in the end. 

My biggest challenge was being home all day and not wanting to put the heaters away every morning.  At night if they get up they beeline for us, even the heaters can't draw them away from the flame that is a parent in the nighttimeBig Smile. We also have the kind that shuts off if it gets tipped over so I really didn't worry about them doing anything that would really harm them.

You also could turn it on to warm his room up when you get home from work, then take it out of his room for bedtime routine, then put it back in after he's well asleep or when you guys go to bed.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    According to Consumer Reports, space heaters shouldn't be used in children's rooms - unsafe for various reasons.  I'd do as jsugrin suggests and heat up his room with it before he goes to bed, then either take it out before bedtime or shortly after he falls asleep.  The doorway gate is still working for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"