High-Risk Pregnancy

Question for GD ladies

I was diagnosed with GD about 2 weeks ago.  I had a feeling that I would fail the test because I have PCOS and also I had been soooo thirsty.  So far most of my numbers, I test 1 hr post meal, have been good (89-119) and haven't been high but the other day I ate some multi grain cheerios and it made my bs go through the roof!!  All of this is so new to me and I just am not sure what will and what won't do bad things to bs, I thought since it was a healthy cereal that I would be okay but obviously cereal is out of the question now.  I felt so guilty that it was so high (220) and was really worried about my baby girl.  I also have a cerclage in place and am on limited activity so I can't exercise like I am used to doing .  I talked to my Dr yesterday about it and she said just so long as that doesn't happen too often then I can stay off medicine, I have a growth u/s in 2 weeks.  What are the risks when bs goes that high?  I just pray that she is safe in there!
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PCOS 2006-2008 Clomid and Metformin all BFN cycles 2008-2009 3 IUI's all BFN Feb 2010 IVF hyperstimulated April 2010 FET#1 BFP with twins m/c at 8 weeks Sept 2010 FET#2 BFP with Brody and Harper born at 22 weeks from IC May 2011 FET#3 BFP with singleton, cerclage placed at 13.5 weeks Neelie Grace born 37.5weeks on Jan 4 2012

Re: Question for GD ladies

• I have GD and I had it with my son.  Everyone is different.  There are certain things I can't eat in any form- cereal with milk, pizza, and bagels are some of them.  Did they give you a carb guideline for meals?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, cereal is bad news for us GD ladies.  Most people spike on it.  There is not much protein and the carbs are just magic in how fast and high they can make your sugars climb.  As for hurting your baby, a single blood sugar spike is not going to hurt her!  Definitely read up a little more on GD if your doc didn't explain how the condition works.  

The basics are if your sugars are consistently high, then the baby is at risk of growing to big too fast, which can lead to induction, possible trauma during delivery for mom or baby due to size, or c-section.  The other main risk to the baby is when you deliver if your sugars aren't under control.  What happens is that glucose crosses the placenta, but the mother's insulin does not.  So, the baby produces their own insulin to process the extra sugar.  What happens post-delivery is that all of a sudden, the baby isn't getting the extra sugar from mom, but they are still producing their own extra insulin.  The result is the low blood sugar crash you hear about with GD babies.  The other risk for the baby if you don't control your sugars are a higher risk of them developing diabetes and obesity later in life.  

Now, the bright side of all this is that GD is very manageable.  When it comes to high blood sugar, your doctor will watch for a trend (more than 2 high readings for a particular meal time) and will put you on meds to control your sugars if need be.  If you do get a high number, the best thing you can do is drink plenty of water and get in a little exercise to help process the sugar out of your system faster.  Then just remember what it was that spiked your sugars and avoid it in the future.  

Just remember to keep following the plan and do your best!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Loading the player...
  • The most carbs I can do in the am is 2 PC of toast with peanut butter ( and 3 eggs). Anything more ( and sometimes even that) makes me spike. I also take pm and am meds.
    pregnancy Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would see a nutritionist to help you map out your diet.  For me, I was not allowed cereal and never any milk while on a GD diet.  You need to learn how to count carbs.  It will make it much easier.
  • Complex carb's such as cereal and pastas and whole grain breads are actually good for diabetics because they maintain blood sugar and take longer to break down. I just want to clear that up. Also things with potein such as toast with peanut butter is awesome and helps to maintain blood sugar.

High blood sugar and low blood sugar can both harm the baby. I say that because my nursing teacher (she's an OBGYN nurse at the hospital and has been one for almost 8 years) told us she had a lady that didn't give a crap about being diabetic. She was admitted to the hospital and they got her under control however, she didn't care when she was released. She went for a check up and ultrasound and her baby had died. Her blood sugar was in the 300 to 400 range, so it's not like your case, but more than just having a big baby can happen with high blood sugar. 

I would be seeing about some Metformin if it was me. It can help you a lot because it's not a hypoglycemic, so it shouldn't effect your good blood sugars, it just will help when you eat other things, so you can get tighter control. Just an option. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"