Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby gaining to much?!

I had my daughter Oct 12, 2011. At birth she weighed 7lbs 2oz. When we left the hospital(on a saturday) she dropped down to 6lbs 15oz. On Monday when i took her back for a check up she was already past her birth weight weighing 7lbs 8oz. She will be three weeks old on Wednesday and i took her to a doctors appointment today and she weighed 9lbs 4oz. I'm very worried that my baby is gaining weight way to fast. Help?!

*she is formula fed.

Re: Baby gaining to much?!

• Options

Be happy your baby is gaining! It took my LO til his 1 month appt to make it back to his birth weight...he was 8lbs 2.9oz at birth, dropped to 7lbs 8oz in the hospital (11 oz loss), and barely made it to 8lbs 1.8oz by his 1 month appointment. To be fair, he was EBF at the time...we started combo (BF/FF) at 7 weeks, and he's been putting on weight like nobody's business ever since. He's now over 12lbs at 3mos.

A week after his 1mo checkup, I had to bring him in for a weight check (only a 1.5oz gain between 2week and 1month appts)...there was a 1month old baby that was 6lbs at birth, that weighed in at a whopping 10lbs at that day.

Your baby might just be a quick gainer. It's nothing to worry about. They're supposed to gain a lot right now.

Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Was your doctor worried about it? If he wasn't, I wouldn't be either!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageLadyVi33:
    Was your doctor worried about it? If he wasn't, I wouldn't be either!
    Ditto
  • Options
    I had a similar situation. DD at her lowest was 7 lbs.  At her 2 mo appt she was 12 lbs.  Doc said she should have gained 44 oz between 2 weeks and 2 months but she gained 64 oz!  Doc had us reduce feeding time and increase the time between feedings - DD is EBF until next week when we move to 1/2 pumping and 1/2 breast feeding.
  • Options
    I don't think that's a reason to worry, that's a reason to be happy.  Our little girl was 7lbs 11oz at birth and 7lbs 8oz when we left the hospital the next day.  At one week she was 8lbs 7oz and at three weeks she was 10lbs 3 oz.  The doctor and nurse just kept saying how wonderful it is, how she's doing so well, etc.  Gaining weight=healthy for babies.  If there was a problem with how quickly your daughter is gaining, the doctor would tell you.

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"