TTC after 35
Options

on to HSG

Hello ladies,

I had a dr's appointment yesterday, and I am on to an HSG on Tuesday.  When a friend on mine had this done, she told me what a horrendous experience this was for her.  She is a bit of a drama queen, so I hope she is exaggerating.  She told me that the pain was so terrible that they couldn't complete the procedure and had to do something else. I really would hate for that to happen, as I get on a plane back to Philly after the HSG and if it isn't successful, I would have to wait another month.

I have a high pain tolerance, but I also get full-fledged panic attacks somewhat frequently.  I am probably worrying too much, but I wanted to get some input from the board.

PS:  If any of you remember one of my posts from last weekend, I was hoping for 3 big things to hit this week -- one was (obviously) having a baby, one was work-related, and one was World Series related.  After the Rangers loss, I am 0 for 3.  Boo.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: on to HSG

• Options
    I had an HSG about a year ago.  I found it uncomfortable, but not intolerable.  It's all over fairly quickly, about 10-15 minutes.  For me it helps to focus on the time (this will all be over in 15 minutes, and I can do anything for 15 minutes).  Make sure that you take the 800mg Ibuprofen about 1 hour before the procedures.  Sorry that you luck is down this week........hope that your odds improve soon.
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options

Maybe your friend had blocked tubes?

My HSG was not fun because I was extremely anxious going in, and at that point wasn't aware of how difficult my cervix is to navigate. So, the 10 minutes of attempting to get the catheter through really amplified my anxiety. But, once the actual dye started, it was just an uncomfortable feeling that didn't last very long, and I actually started to relax a little.

Sorry your week's not working out. Good luck with the HSG.

TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi,

It's uncomfortable but tolerable.  "They" say it's worse if you have a blockage, which I did and I handled it.  It's not that bad in retrospect in light of some other tests I've had.

Also, the tech performing the test (who was awesome) told me a lot of time women get pregnant the next month because it 'cleans you out'.  That was true for me - I did get pregnant the next month.  Unfortunately, mine ended in m/c but maybe during your test you can focus on the fact that this could help you next month! I will be hoping for you!

Me-42 DH-43 TTC #1 since 3/11
    HSG 7/11 showed possible blockage
    8/11 BFP, then early m/c  (Natural)
    9/11 blood tests reveal Factor V Leiden (heterozygous)
    11/11 Hysteroscopy revealed uterine septum, which was repaired
    12/11 1st round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN
    1/12 2nd round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN 
    2/12 Repeat HSG=All clear 
    2/12 IUI with injectables #1=BFN 
    3/12 natural cycle=BFN 
    4/12 IUI with injectables #2=C/P 
    7/12 IVF #1=30ER, 9F, 3T, 1 Frostie 7/29=BFP! 
    8/27/12 No Heartbeat. Waiting to M/C 
    9/13/12 D+C
    12/12 Operative Hysteroscopy 
    1/31/12  IVF#2 ...BFP 2/6 m/c 2/12 methotrexate due to presumed ectopic
    July '13 IVF #3: 13R, 10M, 8F=BFP
    1st Beta=549  2nd Beta 594 3rd Beta 422. M/C #5
    IVF#4 in November=BFP…TWINS!!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FWIW my HSG didn't hurt at all.  There were just maybe 15-30 seconds of discomfort, nothing difficult to tolerate.  Fortunately, I was totally ignorant when I went in and had no idea that for some people it was painful.  Try not to go in anticipating pain -- you may get so tense you actually get pain!
  • Options

Mine was OK.  When they pushed in they dye, it was like bad AF cramps but it didn't last longer than 30 seconds.  Did take 800 mg of ibuprophen about an hour before.  And bring your own pad for after.  The one they give you is very thick...

Good Luck!

• Options

Well, I wish you good luck with your HSG. I won't share my story since mine was not too pleasant. I had a blocked tube, though. Any pain I had was gone when the procedure was done though, so I would not worry about travel just after.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    Owl: you should be fine. My exp. with the HSG was probably one of the most painful exp. I 've had to date, however I survived!  Just as I was ready to scream out in pain the procedure was done. thankyou!  I think it is probably about 50/50 for people saying it was nothing more than a pap exam  versus those that felt it to be painful.  I agree don't forget your own pad or yes they will give you their 2X4 sized 1970's maxi. 
    TTC since 2009 very frustrated 42yr and DH 40

5 cycles of Clomid with satisfactory response=BFN's
    Fibroid removal Nov2010
    IUI Clomid #1 Feb 2011...BFN..damn it!
    IUI Inject's #2 Apr 2011...CANCELLED...low estradiol
    IUI Inject's #3 June 2011...BFN
    IUI Inject's #4 Sept2011...BFFN
    Lap Dec 2011...severe endo..cyst removed..some remains...
    IVF#1 Apr 2012 ....cancelled due to over suppression
    IVF#2 July 2012....6 follies...only 1 retrieved....BFFN
    surgery suggested to move ovary to an better placement but....we moved two time zones away and are financially and emotionally empty

• Options

I was really worried about mine, but honestly (like everything else so far in this journey) it was way better than I anticipated.  It was over quickly and just slightly uncomfortable. I took 800mg of ibuprofen about an hour before.  And I was so rooting for my Rangers too, heartbreaking :(

Also, I have anxiety, and am a huge worrier. I tend to worry and build stuff up, and it usually ends up being better than anticipated.

• Options
    Thanks for all your responses!  I am feeling much better and better prepared -- I'll take some Tylenol and bring a pad (things I never would have thought of).
  • Options

imageowlprof:
    Thanks for all your responses!  I am feeling much better and better prepared -- I'll take some Tylenol and bring a pad (things I never would have thought of).

I would recommend ibuprofen (Advil) instead of Tylenol.  That is what my RE recommended. 

My HSG was intensely crampy, but not so horribly painful.  I probably could have gone back to work afterward with no probles, but I was glad I took the day off so I could veg on the couch.

GL with yours!  Hope everything is all clear!

• Options
    I also agree with Bubs...take ibuprofen instead of tylenol. I got myself so worked up over this. Too make matters worse they scheduled my time wrong and I ended up sitting in the office and car for an hour and a half! Mine was uncomfortable but like over pp said...tolerable. Good Luck!

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    My first attempt was horrendous.  The doctor was unable to get the tube in.  However, the second one was successful and actually no big deal at all.  I had no pain at all.  It really felt very similar to a pap smear.  As long as you have a doctor that knows what they are doing, I would not stress about it.  Good luck.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with PP...you really should take ibuprofen, not tylenol.  You need the prostaglandin inhibition that the ibuprofen will provide.  The tylenol will not provide that for you.  GL!
    m/c at 6 wks 2002
    Endometriosis, s/p lap 2009
    Behcet's disease, s/p partial vulvectomy 2010
    Started bromocriptine to lower prolactin level 2010
    Clear HSG 11/2010 :)
    DH morphology = 4, rest of SA looked good 01/2011
    02/2011 First Clomid 50mg cycle
    BFP 03/02/2011
    No heartbeat at 10w5d 04/18/2011; D&C 04/23/2011
    07/2011 Second Clomid 50mg cycle, BFN
    08/2011 Third Clomid 50mg cycle, BFN
    10/2011 First Clomid 100mg cycle with Ovidrel trigger = BFN
    11/2011 Second Clomid 100mg cycle with Ovidrel trigger = BFN
    12/2011 Third Clomid 100mg cycle with Ovidrel trigger = BFFN
    01/2012 Fourth Clomid 100mg cycle with Ovidrel trigger = ?
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"