Austin Babies

Baby names question

Is it ok to name your baby after a dog? Tell it to me straight.

Our dog passed away this year. His name was Benjamin and we like the name Ben. I was thinking maybe we could get by with using it as a middle name.

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>

Re: Baby names question

• I say, if you love the name, go for it.  If friends/family who knew your dog Benjamin think it's weird, just tell them that you love the name, and it's a happy coincidence that it's the same as your dog.

I love my deceased cat's name (Jake) and believe it or not, would consider naming this baby Jake if DH didn't dislike the name.

• Just don't tell people you named the kid after a dog.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would do it.  I have family that have a beagle named Sadie and it's my most favorite girl name.  :)
  • imageMrsMillerTime:
    Just don't tell people you named the kid after a dog.

Or slip and tell the kid someday.  ;-)

If you like the nn Ben, there are other options other than Benjamin.  Bennett, Benedict, Bentley, Benson (but don't tell the baby names board about those last two). 

I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
    My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained
  • Indiana Jones was named after a dog. And he was pretty badass.
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • I say that you should go for it if it's a name that you love.
  • imagerssnlvr:
    Indiana Jones was named after a dog. And he was pretty badass.

Really? Who knew.

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • I think you should go for it.  Our son August shares the same name as our old dog who we no longer have.  We call him Augie and that was our old dog's name.  I had fond memories of our old dog and I didn't think twice about using the name.  The fact that our son shares the same name as our old dog hasn't come up with family or friends either. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"