3rd Trimester

Chlorine Smell? (maybe TMI for some)

A couple weeks ago I has some gushes of clear,watery fluids,no smell,color or texture.. My Dr. checked and said its normal.. well now Its smelling like Chlorine?!?!?!?!   Is THAT normal too? I am a little concerned because the other day I was awaken by contractions timing  between 7-10 mins. lasting about 30 secs. or less.. Went to sleep and still had them in the AM but not timeable, just random.. Dr. said that because they were not 5mins. or less and did not worsen that I should be good.. I am wondering if maybe that was like a little false labor, or maybe my water broke and is slowly leaking? IDK I have an appointment on Wednesday and will discuss this with the Doc. But I'm hoping to ease my thoughts until then..
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chlorine Smell? (maybe TMI for some)

• IMO, I would go in to L&D to get checked - they can test if it's your waters...  Mine smelled sort of bleachy (o.k. male) when mine broke for DD...  Trust your instincts!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd go check it out BUT I was having little gushes and it turned out that the way LO was I couldn't fully empty my bladder. I'd go pee/whatever then he'd kick it and make me think it was something other than just the pee I couldn't get out. The giveaway was the ammonia like smell- My doctor was able to do a quick exam with a swab and tell me right away it was amniotic fluid. Was worth the piece of mind but now I'm convinced I smell like pee -.-;;
  • Loading the player...
  • Amniotic fluid can definitely have a chlorine smell to it...I would call your doc.

Ammonia smell is definitely urine.

Quote from birth.com:

"Sometimes the smell of the fluid can also help you know. Amniotic fluid does not smell acidic, like urine. The smell is somewhat odourless, or has an almond-like or alkaline/chlorine aroma. Some people liken the odour of amniotic fluid to the smell of male semen. This can make it more difficult to tell if you have just had intercourse."

Lauren...Wife to Jason, mother to Henry (4), Wesley (2), and baby George! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lurking here from 2nd tri... That sounds like your amniotic fluid!! I had a convo about that with a girl I know who is a Doula just yesterday. I had some watery leaking/discharge this week and worried it was AF. She said it would smell like chlorine so I was ok.

Sounds like that's what yours might be! Go get checked out for sure! Good luck!

• ditto to amniotic fluid. i'd go into make sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It doesn't hurt to check! 

• Amniotic Fluid smells like bleach. Mine broke at home with my first and that is how I knew what it was. Go to the dr's/hospital.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"