Trouble TTC
Options

Ladies who've done IVF

Last night was the 7th day of stims.  I had a monitoring appt this morning showing 9 follicles measuring between 10-12. 

My RE says he likes to see 15 and I'm kind of flipping out right now.  9 just seems like way too few.

How many follies did you have?  Do I still have time to grow more follies that will be mature by the ER? 

Am I freaking out over nothing?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ladies who've done IVF

• Options
    It all depends on your diagnosis. I literally had 2 follies for IVF #1 and #2 so to me, 9 is great.   I see in your siggy that you have elevated FSH. What is it?  Are you DOR?  It is unrealistic to get 15 follies if you are DOR.   I personally think you are freaking over nothing.  Others who produce lots of follies might feel differently.  Finally, yes, you have time to grow more if you follies are in the 10-12 range. 

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options

My first IVF, I had a growth and E2 explosion after 7 days of stims.  I can't remember how many they counted at that appointment, but I wound up with 14 eggs retrieved/12 mature. 

My second IVF, the stimulation took a lot longer, and after 7 days of stims I had a lot of 10-12mm follies (maybe 10 or 11?), but my E2 was relatively low.  I wound up stimming for 10 days total that cycle, and they retrieved 15 eggs/14 mature.

Usually they don't schedule ER until they feel there's a good number of mature follies in there -- and they use E2 + ultrasound to figure that out.  It sounds to me like things are just growing slowly, and that's totally OK!  Are you going back in 2 days?  Are they leaving your meds the same?  I think there's a good chance things will look very, very different at your next appointment -- try not to worry!

The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
    IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
    IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
    IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not entirely sure about the more follie question - is your RE going to up your dose?    My RE thinks that between 8-12 eggs is the perfect stim cycle - since your estrogen doesn't get too high and you don't overstim.  

I know how hard and emotionally draining this is - so try to hang in there.  

TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• Options

I don't understand where your RE got the number 15 from but I personally think your number is good.  I had only 6 follicles after 7 days of stims (or maybe even less) and I ended up with 10 so you still have plenty of time.

Hang in there.  I know it is tough. 

• Options
    My doctor says 8-10 is average...so 9 sounds good. I know it is hard, but quality over quantity is what you want in IVF. Hang in there!
    TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Options

I also wanted to add... I think it's interesting that your RE wants to see 15 follies.  I think most people get fewer than 15 - at my first egg retrieval they told me the national average is 11.  So, definitely don't flip out!  Like I posted above, I bet you're on track to wind up with a very respectable number of eggs :)

The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
    IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
    IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
    IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Like McIrish said, how many follies you get totally depends on your diagnosis. I have a mildly elevated FSH (11) but normal AMH (3.0). We are "unexplained."

On day 5 of stims (300 units Gonal-F, 75 units Luveris) I had 13 follies at 10-12 mm. On day 9 of stims (same dose), I also had 13 follies between 11 and 15. On day 10 of stims (same dose) and day of trigger, I had 6 over 20 mm, 5 in the 15-18 range and about 10 measuring 13-15.  We ended up with 16 eggs, 11 fertilized, and 6 made it to transfer/freezing.

So there is still time for your 9 to grow. And even though they only see 9 now, doesn't mean there aren't more hiding somewhere. And even if there aren't, 9 is a great number!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageMrs.McIrish:
    It all depends on your diagnosis. I literally had 2 follies for IVF #1 and #2 so to me, 9 is great.   I see in your siggy that you have elevated FSH. What is it?  Are you DOR?  It is unrealistic to get 15 follies if you are DOR.   I personally think you are freaking over nothing.  Others who produce lots of follies might feel differently.  Finally, yes, you have time to grow more if you follies are in the 10-12 range. 

My FSH ranges from 8.5 to 11.5 and my AMH has always been normal.  Also, all my follicle counts on cd3 have been normal so no DOR diagnosis.

• Options

Thank you ladies for the reality check.  It's so hard not to overeact about IF sometimes.

I feel much better after reading all your responses.

• Options
    I am perfectly healthy (as far as they know) and I only had 9 at the ER.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DX: Severe MFI 9/1/11
    Because of Undescended testicle at birth
    IVF #1 October BFN; 5 snowbabies
    FET: November/December 2011
    ET: 12/7/11; Beta 1: 12/16/11: 66 Beta 2: 12/19/11: 212! 1st ultrasound 1/3/12! Graduated 1/10/12: heartbeat 160
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"