Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

bf and virus

I woke up this morning and nursed DD. I wasn't feeling great but didn't think much of it. About 45 minutes later I started having diarrhea then I threw up. There's a virus going around, so I must have caught it. I'm so scared DD is going to get it. She will be 5 weeks old Wednesday. Has anyone ever experienced their infant getting a virus this early? I also pumped a few minutes ago and plan on dumping it. I don't need to bf her until I'm well do I?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: bf and virus

• Options

My understanding is that it's important to breastfeed when you're sick because she will get the antibodies for whatever virus you are fighting off. I would call your pediatrician, they probably have a nurse who can talk to you and reassure you.

I had a virus when DD was about that old, and the pediatrician told me to keep nursing. DD got the virus, but much less severe symptoms than I had.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Generally it's better to keep BFing, that way you can pass on the antibodies your body is forming against the virus.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the EXACT same thing, with DD at the exact same age (last week). First DS got it, then DH, then me. I just kept EBF. DD never got a fever, and I couldn't tell if she was ever  sick (when your baby spits up it's hard to tell if that's a symptom - or just normal spit-up)
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! She had a checkup today, and DH and MIL took her, and the dr said the same thing, keep bf.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"