Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Anyone have complications from a D&C?

It's been 2 weeks and 3 days since my d&c and yet I'm still having pelvic pain. I have gone back to the doctor 2 times since complaining of pain and she just keeps saying everything looks fine and is healing nicely and saying to take motrin 800 for the pain. Anyone else have complications or trouble healing? Shouldn't the pain at least be gone? I'm thinking a second opinion is in order.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have complications from a D&C?

• I'm so sorry you are still in pain. How has your dr been checking you - ultrasound or pelvic exam? She should be looking with an ultrasound to make sure you're not hanging onto any tissue. 

I had cramps the 1.5 weeks after my D&C and passed a few large blood clots - after that I was fine.

Good luck ((HUGS)) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She's done a pelvic and an ultrasound as well as bloodwork. I don't know what's going on. I did get a call today that the culture from the pelvic came back positive for a bacterial infection and she put me on some antibiotics. Still don't think this could be the cause of the pain. I'm frustrated. I feel as though they aren't taking me seriously.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelizmitchell15:
    She's done a pelvic and an ultrasound as well as bloodwork. I don't know what's going on. I did get a call today that the culture from the pelvic came back positive for a bacterial infection and she put me on some antibiotics. Still don't think this could be the cause of the pain. I'm frustrated. I feel as though they aren't taking me seriously.

I had wierd twingey and sometimes painful cramps for quite awhile after my last D&C, and it sometimes hurt when I took a bowel movement (TMI).  I had a clean bill of health and the pains went away eventually.  Plus, I totally think a bacterial infection could cause the pain you are experiencing!!  That being said, if you're body is telling you something is wrong, you should keep pushing for an answer.  

• imageReeceFamily:

imagelizmitchell15:
    She's done a pelvic and an ultrasound as well as bloodwork. I don't know what's going on. I did get a call today that the culture from the pelvic came back positive for a bacterial infection and she put me on some antibiotics. Still don't think this could be the cause of the pain. I'm frustrated. I feel as though they aren't taking me seriously.

I had wierd twingey and sometimes painful cramps for quite awhile after my last D&C, and it sometimes hurt when I took a bowel movement (TMI).  I had a clean bill of health and the pains went away eventually.  Plus, I totally think a bacterial infection could cause the pain you are experiencing!!  That being said, if you're body is telling you something is wrong, you should keep pushing for an answer.  

This.  I have heard that an infection can be painful :(  

I am almost 2 weeks past D&C and am not experiencing any pain.  My doctor said that all of the significant pain should pass once your body clears the tissue...so I would be concerned.  I am sorry that you are having to deal with this in addition to your loss ((HUGS)).  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had complications but not like that, they apparently screwed up while moving me and messed up my nerves so I'm in physical therapy for that.

It's really hard to heal emotionally when I'm still feeling so horrible physically. Sending you a (((hug))) and hope you start feeling better soon. Infections can cause all sorts of terrible symptoms so maybe this will clear it up for you.

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks
    Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks on Nov 27 2012

Lilypie - (kqKn)
  • I developed an infection after my first D&C and had to have the procedure done again a week later because there was retained tissue. Hopefully my fertility hasn't been affected. I'll know in December when we can try again. Did the doctor do an US? You could get a second opinion. . .no harm in it.
    TTC 6/23/11, BFP 8/7/11, Missed m/c and D&C#1 8/30/11, Infection D&C#2 9/6/11
  • DS siggy warning! 

I have had zero complications from either of mine. It def sounds like the infection might be causing your pain. In fact, I would bet on it. If you feel comfortable waiting a few days until the antibiotics kick in; it should take care of the pain. If not I would go get a second opinion asap!!!

Good luck!

~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
    12.6.07 CP at 5w
    5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
    8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
    BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
    3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
    4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
    4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
    10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
    10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
    BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby