Attachment Parenting
Options

Bedsharing input??

My entire pregnancy I told myself I wouldn't put LO in bed with us. He is a terrible sleeper. 3 1/2 months in we have still yet to get a full night (a few times we've gotten 4-5 hours). The past week we've realized that he loves to sleep in bed with us on his side. It makes me very nervous bc I've heard so many people talk about the increased risk of SIDS. We have a very large bed and he's far from both of us. What are some opinions/advice from Moms who share their bed with baby...

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Bedsharing input??

• Options

I honestly feel more safe having my daughter sleeping next to me, than I would if she were in her crib (especially in another room)- at least for those first 3 months. If done correctly, bedsharing can be safe and enjoyable for both parents and baby. I would definitely do some research, and see if this could be an option for you.

As far as SIDS and bedsharing, I have read articles that go either way. A lot of times people confuse suffocation with SIDS in instances where babies die in bed with their parents. Like I said before, if you do it safely then you have nothing to worry about.

Oh, I also wanted to add that I hadn't planned on bedsharing either. My husband actually suggested it while I was pregnant, but I shot him down. After my daughter was born I held her constantly those first few weeks, and sort of fell into bedsharing, but now I *love* it. I EBF and even though she isn't STTN yet, I still get plenty of sleep. I also enjoy the extra snuggle time.

HTH & GL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As long as you dont drink, smoke, do drugs, or take any medications that cause drowsiness then you should be fine. I still sometimes bedshare with Blue, and fulltime bedshare with Pearl and have always felt very safe with them next to me. I do have bed rails so noone falld out btw.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had so much guilt about keeping our newborn in our bed. Now I love sleep sharing and am not looking to stop any time soon. There is definitely no increases risk of SIDS and it's not so hard to use common sense and do it safely. I adore snuggling my baby all night and it's wonderful to be able to nurse her without either of us waking up all the way. It feels like STTN, even though it isn't really.

Both MH and I agreed that bedsharing would work for us. We took our bed off the frame, because it was very high and we didn't feel our frame was safe. Our mattress is a pillow top, which is not recommended, but it hasn't been a problem. I sleep on my side with her between me and the edge of the bed, with my arm around her, or with her between MH and myself. We don't have a rail at this point, because she does not move in her sleep. MH and I use separate blankets.

These helped me when I was trying to figure out if bedsharing was going to be ok for us to continue:

https://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

https://safebedsharing.org/safetyguidelines.html  

• Options

Bedsharing decreases the likelihood of SIDS with breastfeeding mothers.  Your temperature and breathing help regulate your baby's temperature and breathing.  The two of you also rouse one another and the baby can settle more quickly when you can readily and easily nurse.

I can't link now, but google Dr. James McKeanna at the U. of Notre Dame Mother-Baby Sleep Lab.

I think your concern may be about overlaying or smothering, not SIDS.  PP have shared some good info about reducing the risk of overlaying and smothering.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"