Food Allergy
Options

EBF and elimination diet - questions

LO first had blood at 5 weeks old, and I have been dairy free since then (9 weeks now).  We saw some results at first, but then things worsened and after seeing a GI doc, I now have one week  of top-8-free under my belt.  We are already seeing some positive changes... yay! I am eliminating top 8 for at least two weeks, and would like at least one week of "normal" diapers before re-introducing anything.  Then, it was recommended to my to introduce one allergen a week before moving on to a second, etc.

How much of each food should I eat when challenging?  Like a slice of bread for wheat?   A scrambled egg for egg?  Smaller?  Larger? 

Any advice would be appreciated!  Thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: EBF and elimination diet - questions

• Options
    I'm wondering the same thing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with reintroducing foods, but i just wanted to say that I am totally impressed that you went top-8 free!  that was possibly in my future and I'm so glad i didn't have to go there.  GL with the reintroduction! 

Baby K ~ born July 1
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

those are really good questions! i never even though about it when i eliminated things.

I would start with a 1/2 of slice of bread and then 2 days later do an entire slice of bread and 2 days later have 2 slices of bread. 

With eggs, i would start with having it in baked goods (muffin or something) and then 2 days later have a spoon full of scrambled eggs (so not an entire egg).. and then 2 days later increase it.  Same thing with milk. I would start with it in baked goods and then have it whole .... Some people can tolerate eggs/milk in baked goods but not as whole.  So with things like that i would do a 2 week challenge (one week baked goods and one week whole milk/ whole egg) 

I wonder if there is a typical guideline.. I'm curious since what i wrote is just something i would do now that i've been on this forum and reading others responses.

• Options

Thanks!  That's helpful! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagemagdusia:

those are really good questions! i never even though about it when i eliminated things.

I would start with a 1/2 of slice of bread and then 2 days later do an entire slice of bread and 2 days later have 2 slices of bread. 

With eggs, i would start with having it in baked goods (muffin or something) and then 2 days later have a spoon full of scrambled eggs (so not an entire egg).. and then 2 days later increase it.  Same thing with milk. I would start with it in baked goods and then have it whole .... Some people can tolerate eggs/milk in baked goods but not as whole.  So with things like that i would do a 2 week challenge (one week baked goods and one week whole milk/ whole egg) 

I wonder if there is a typical guideline.. I'm curious since what i wrote is just something i would do now that i've been on this forum and reading others responses.

I think this sounds like a great plan.  Just make sure that everything you introduce is single category foods (like bread can have milk and eggs and soy etc.).  I think I'd pick your toughest food (like whatever you miss the most) and start there.  If I got to pick a top 8 food it would be soy or wheat- but that's just because I think cutting dairy and eggs are easier than those 2 :) 

I'd also suggest keeping a food diary so you know just hwo much you ate before you saw a reaction.  You may find taht your LO can tolerate small amounts (like bread on a sandwich might be ok but a giant bowl of pasta is not ok). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"