April 2011 Moms
Options

XP: Won't go back to sleep after night waking?

Sleep training went well, for the most part (we used Ferber).  I can now put LO down awake and he goes to sleep with little to no fussing.  I usually put him down at 8 and he will sleep until 4-ish.  He immediately dropped his midnight waking/feeding when we started sleep training.  So I'm not complaining there - we've made a lot of progress.  It's just that once he wakes up around 4, he will NOT go back to sleep.  This morning he woke up around 3 and I nursed him and put him back down.  He'd quiet down so I'd think he was asleep but then he'd start crying again.  I finally caved around 6 and brought him to bed with us.  I felt awful for going that long but I keep hearing/reading "be consistent/don't give in" (so don't flame me).  If he did this at the beginning of the night, I'd assume he wasn't ready and try again in a couple of weeks.  I just don't understand why it's so easy at bedtime and such a fight at 4 AM?  I don't don't what to do.... I don't hate him coming to bed with us (I enjoy it, really).  I just don't want to assume that this habit will go away on it's own.   Any advice?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: XP: Won't go back to sleep after night waking?

• Options
    Do you talk to LO at all when you get up to feed him?  If Chase wakes up hungry in the middle of the night, I'll pick him up, feed him, and put him back to sleep, all without saying a word.  My goal is to keep him as sleepy as possible, and make sure the he knows it's not a time to play.  Good luck.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"