Preemies
Options

Veg or Fruit first?

Opinions on which group of solids to start first?  My pedi said apples and pear, but I've read a lot about doing veggies first (sweet potato, squash, green beans).  I would certainly run it by my pedi first, but I'm inclined to think that starting with sweets might make the rest hard.

Also, thoughts on brands?  I love the Plum Baby and other squeeze bottles, but they only seem to make Stage 1 fruits, not vegetables.  I know Gerber now makes an organic line, but there seem to be a lot of additives (tuna oil, etc). 

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Veg or Fruit first?

• Options
    Everything I've read says to do veggies first because they aren't sweet.  If you do all fruit first then they sometimes won't eat veggies.   
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

imagekatie4253:
    Everything I've read says to do veggies first because they aren't sweet.  If you do all fruit first then they sometimes won't eat veggies.   

This is also what I've heard. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I've heard that about starting veggies first, too, but then I've also heard that it's a myth.  Most babies just prefer fruit more than veggies - no matter what order you start things in.  Fruit is sweeter, so they like it more.

We started with fruit (pears), and he's had no trouble eating just about anything.  He doesn't like peas and isn't a huge fan of green beans or the garden vegetable mix, but he likes all of the other veggies. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options
    our GI told us to do veggies first: yellow, orange, green and then start fruits.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersPhotobucket Keep up with Scarlette at http://kaylaaimee.com
  • Options

imagekaylaaimee:
    our GI told us to do veggies first: yellow, orange, green and then start fruits.

This is what our nutritionist told us too. I did introduce some fruits earlier though (avacado and pear) because I thought she'd like them. We haven't had any trouble going between the two. 

• Options
    Well we started with plain oatmeal cereal first. He didn't like the taste (cant say I blame him!), so I added a little fruit to it. So I guess we started fruits before veggies. I was worried that he then wouldn't eat veggies, but he will eat anything I put in front of his mouth. Most of the foods I make myself. Its really easy- just steam or roast the veggies and puree. But I also use some Plum Baby organics.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I think DD's first was sweet potato then maybe apple sauce. Then again sweet potato is sweet.

• Options

I gave bananas first.  My pedi said that the "sweetness of fruits" was just a myth.  Plus my boys are BM babies, so it's sweeter than normal anyway.

I use this site to guide me in what to introduce and when:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"