Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Completely blindsided-vent **Siggy warning***

So after our last m/c we told my IL's about our m/c's/TTC#2. MIL was so sympathetic and helpful.

Fastforward to tonight. Went over for family dinner, which apparently was to announce that SIL is pregnant. We were all sitting around and MIL calls me (and grandmother in law) over to look at pic on the phone...ultrasound picture. They all said "look at the next grandbaby" then stared at us for reaction. Well GMIL doesn't say much.... but I'm about to burst into tears. I ended up just walking away as DH said congrats.

I'm just so hurt at how someone who knows what I've been through and is supposed to be my family tells me. Maybe it's childish to say my feelings were hurt, but they were...to the umpteenth degree. What a sh**ty night...

If this were you, would you say something later to MIL about it? or just let it go?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Completely blindsided-vent **Siggy warning***

• I would say that my feelings would be hurt.  I would tell your MIL that you are super excited for your SIL but that, in the future, it would help if someone could tell you and DH in private.  That way, you have time to prepare and be emotionally ready for congratulating your SIL/whoever else it happens to be in public.  This was very insensitive.  But, sometimes people are.  I am so sorry.

• Oh, I'm so sorry--that is awful! I've been paranoid that my brother and SIL are going to announce soon and I've thought a lot about how I'd want them to tell me. I think I'm probably just being a little cray cray because they already have 3 and only originally though they'd want 2, but there's just something in my gut that's got me thinking about it. I think what you say and how really depends on the family dynamic. I have a great relationship with my ILs, but if I were in that situation I'd probably ask DH to talk to them and tell them that we're really happy for them, but to please be sensitive about discussing it in front of me, at least for a while.

((Big hugs)) 

photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Oh what an awful situation; big hugs to you!

And shame on your ILs for not being a little more sensitive to your feelings, I would have been very hurt too. I would have your DH address it with his parents, I think your MIL should know how much she hurt you....plus, this might keep "ultrasound updates" down in the future as the months go by.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You have every right to be upset. I think some people just don't understand how sensitive we can be after a m/c. I'm sure you must be happy for SIL but at the same time, it's hard to look at an ultrasound picture and not get upset over it. Your MIL definitely should have been more careful about your feelings. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't have the guts to tell my MIL. But I would most likely have DH say something to her.

imageimageimage
    BFP #1 ~ EDD 5.20.2012 ~ MC 10.1.2011
    BFP #2 ~ EDD 11.15.2012 ~ CP 3.7.2012
    BFP #3 ~ DS born 12.03.2012

FF Chart
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"