Baby Showers

Shower cancellation :(

So I have a friend preganant with twins, she is only 24 weeks and now in the hospital at 24 weeks for a while because she has dialated to 3cm, Her shower was planned for Dec 4th. Should we postpone the shower until after the babies are born? like maybe Jan? Or try to host it b4 they get here.

how do we go about that? Has anyone done this? thanks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shower cancellation :(

• She's in the hospital.  People get that. It would be premature and inappropriate to cancel / postpone it now. No one knows what's going to happen. She could have her cervix sticked and be fine to have a shower by December.

I would wait a week and then reconvene. You'll know more with time.  

• We did a Skype shower for my sister when she was in the hospital.  I brought the gifts to the hospital and sat with her while all the other people were at the hostess's house.  I brought a tray of food from the shower, so she could eat the same thing, we made another little cake, and we talked to the guests and opened presents on camera.  It definitely lifted her spirits, and then after she had the baby, but he was still in the NICU, we had a little "personal shower" for her--lotions, spa gc, etc.... so she could get together with everyone. 
    Big A 06-07-08 Little A 11-11-11
  • Loading the player...
  • I would wait a bit... my husbands cousin was due with twins and went into labor the week before her shower... at 29 weeks.... she was in the hospital and was put on bed rest... she eventually was home and we had something for her then...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJMack1117:
    We did a Skype shower for my sister when she was in the hospital.  I brought the gifts to the hospital and sat with her while all the other people were at the hostess's house.  I brought a tray of food from the shower, so she could eat the same thing, we made another little cake, and we talked to the guests and opened presents on camera.  It definitely lifted her spirits, and then after she had the baby, but he was still in the NICU, we had a little "personal shower" for her--lotions, spa gc, etc.... so she could get together with everyone. 

It's good that she enjoyed that.  I would be so depressed with that situation I would probably cry all the way through it.  I'd rather wait to do it after the babies arrived.

• If you haven't sent out any invitations yet I would just hang tight and see how things play out.  Things could go many different ways here.  If you have sent out invitations I would for sure call and let everyone know what the situation is and that you will update them when you have a backup plan.

If the babies are born early they will be in the hospital for a while.  I had a preemie and we had my shower while she was still in the NICU.  Not all moms will want to have their shower while their baby is in the NICU though.  At the same time it may not even be possible to have the shower before she gives birth if she is in the hospital the whole time.

Just make sure you are open and honest with the mother to be.  Let her know her options and then let her know you are more than happy to do whatever works best for her.  Most importantly, don't take this special moment you were already planning to share with her away from her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First I want to send along my T&Ps to her and the babies, hope everything turns okay for them. Second, I would hold off cancelling her baby shower until you have more information. Sometimes, drs can delay and completely stop early labor through meds and if so, there's a good chance she's gonna be put on complete bedrest if she's allowed to go home. I will say that if the invites have been sent out, try and get in contact w/everyone about her current status and let them know there MIGHT be a change in plans but that will depend on MTB's condition. Talk w/MTB and ask her at some point what she would want. As pp suggested, if it comes down to it, you can have a Skype shower for her instead so she doesn't miss out entirely on the fun.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I personally would wait until the babies are home.
  • Definitley wait to cancel it. I went in for premature labor, but was sent home on bedrest- they were able to stop the labor. I was able to go to my shower and just sit.

Otherwise, it couldnt hurt to get more opinions, people are still going to want to give her things, and she will certainly need them whent he babies come home. Sucky situation :-(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been in the hospital since I was 23 weeks and 4 days. My shower was scheduled for October 29 when I would be 28 weeks. It was cancelled. We will reschedule for while the babies are in the nicu. We were going to schedule the shower for after they were out, but the doctors do not want them going out during flu season a lot. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"