Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

are you a parent?

or do you have kids? I giggled at theses questions last week but now it hurts so bad.

on one hand no, I dont have any children at home that I can show people pictures of or tell them a story but on the other hand, yes, I carried a baby in my body and I still love him or her with all my heart so I would say that I am a mother and my husband is a father.

feelings? opinions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: are you a parent?

• It's really funny you bring this up.  I had a parent conference yesterday and the mom was 9 months pregnant.  At the end of our conference, she asked me if I had children and I said no.  She asked me if I wanted children, and I paused.  I just wanted to cry and tell her I carried a baby for 3 months, but its gone now.  I just smiled and said yes, I hope one day to have children.  I was devastated after.  I really don't know how you respond to that question.  I know that is not the last time I'm going to be asked either.  It sucks! :*(  I know in my heart, I was a mom and had a baby, though now its no longer with me.  I will never forget my baby and how much joy it brought to me for those three months.

I'm sorry for what you're going through.  You're not alone.  **Hugs** 

• DS siggy warning.

Funny, despite NOW "officially" being a parent I can remember asking myself these questions before my DS.

I've had multiple losses and after a point I just started being point blank with people. Not to be mean but to make people think about what they say before they say it (PP).

After the first loss I had I wondered this and determined that I loved my baby, thats what made me a mother. I grieved for that child I lost and the others that followed. There is no doubt in my mind that we are all mothers! Unfortantely our babies were too beautiful for Earth!!

HUGS!!!

~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
    12.6.07 CP at 5w
    5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
    8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
    BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
    3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
    4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
    4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
    10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
    10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
    BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby
    Life During and After RPL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have actually been thinking a lot about this question. From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I felt like I became a mom....now, even though our baby is gone, I still feel like a mom, only without a baby....

I work in pediatrics, so this is a question that comes up a lot in conversation; most of the time it's just people chit-chatting, but sometimes parents will use it in this context: "Do you have kids? No? Well then, how can you take care of my child? Or know how hard it is to see them get a shot?". I am dreading this, as I honestly don't know what I am going to say....do you say No, even though I will feel like I am lying to myself? Or do I just say: "We're recovering from a loss." or "We're hoping to someday?".

Hugs to all of you that are having to ponder this too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just asked DH this question last night. I asked him if he felt like he was a dad...to which he replied that he is a dad to a baby in heaven. It definitely made me cry, but also happy to know that this baby was important to him and he still considers himself a dad even though we don't have a baby at home with us.
    imageimageimage
    BFP #1 ~ EDD 5.20.2012 ~ MC 10.1.2011
    BFP #2 ~ EDD 11.15.2012 ~ CP 3.7.2012
    BFP #3 ~ DS born 12.03.2012

FF Chart
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJessMike07:

I've had multiple losses and after a point I just started being point blank with people. Not to be mean but to make people think about what they say before they say it

I think I've reached that point where I want to be point blank too... What do you say?

I have so much to say to people that ask me the same questions over & over & over again "When are you going to have kids?": I don't know!! "Are you trying?": You mean, are we having unprotected sex? Really? That is none of your business! I kind of want to have an awesome go-to response for these questions, so that I don't burst into tears ...or slap them lol

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
    "Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it" 
    --Helen Keller 

4 miscarriages: Nov 2009,  Jan 2011, Sept 2011,  Oct 2012
    IVF Round 1:
    3/4/15: Egg Retrieval
    16 Eggs Retrieved -- 15 Fertilized via ICSI -- 10 Blastocysts Biopsied for PGD & PGS -- 2 (male) Blastocysts Remain for Transfer
    5/13/15: FET -- 5/26/15: BFN
    CANCELLED IVF Round 2.

Living a happy, child-free life with my best friend.
    *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
  • I am lucky in a way because I already had two wonderful sons when we lost our third child.  Now I am pregnant with our fourth and everyone asks are we going to have a fourth, because this child is also a boy and they don't know.  They think they are just having a conversation because most people want at least one of each boys and girl.  But I want to say all the time this is our 4th and last.  I struggle with what to say and I still leave and cry at times about the one child that is in heaven.  I think once I am strong enough I will say something but right now (4.5 months later) I would just start crying if I said anything about it being our 4th child.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I forgot to say I completely agree that you are parents no matter how long you had with them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"