Babies: 0 - 3 Months

DS hates the crib! Help!!

When we first came home from the hospital DS I decided that he would sleep in his PNP in our room for a while since the nursery is on the other side of the house.  Well, he hated that but we stuck with it (and barely got any sleep).  Then when he got acid reflux, I started having to let him sit up for 30 minutes after feedings.  I would sit in bed during the night time feedings while I would hold him and we started falling asleep that way.  Now DS only wants to sleep in our bed at night and in the swing during the day.  DH and I decided that we're going to start moving him to the crib at night and we're also going to start teaching CIO.  We've been trying to get DS to nap in the crib today, but so far we're failing miserable & I'm scared we're going to be up all night tonight.  We're getting him to sleep, then putting him in the crib.  He immediately wakes up and starts screaming. 

Does anyone have any advice for getting LO to sleep in the crib?  Also, I'm letting him CIO for 10 min before I pick him up.  Does anyone know if this is the correct way to start doing CIO?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DS hates the crib! Help!!

• If your son has acid refulx, then he doesn't like being flat on his back.  My pedi, recommended that you put a blanket or two under the sheet this way your lo is not perfectly flat.  It helped my little guy who didn't like sleeping flat on his back either.  I hop this helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i'd invest in the rock n play sleeper, he needs to be upright if he has reflux.

also PLEASE do not let a not even 3 month old CIO.  it's not recommended  ti 4 months at the earliest, most babies dont' take to it til 6 months old.  at this age your baby does not know hold to self soothe.yes, he might eventually pass out after crying for long periods of time but it's not successful sleep training!   he wants to be held b/c he's still adjusting to life on the outside, it's totally normal.   it won't last forever and if you still have sleep issues in a few months then please read Feber's book before you attempt it again.  it explains why it won't work at 2+months. 

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • It's too early to sleep train your LO. CIO is not recommended for babies that young because they don't know how to self-soothe. Please don't let him cry like that - it's not good for him at this age. It's normal for him to want to be with you. He loves you and he feels safe that way. If ge has reflux, either a wedge positioner or the rock n play should help him sleep better by himself.
  • My DS also has reflux and we put the crib wedge (from BRU) under his mattress which keeps him slightly inclined.  We struggled for a while as well to get him in the crib but he now sleeps in it just fine (still wakes up to eat but goes down easily 99% of the time).  We also swaddle him and have a white noise machine which both really seem to make a difference. I think made the most effect, believe it or not, was starting to put him down drowsy but awake. When we first started (and still occasionally), we'd put him down and after a few minutes he'd start to fuss (not cry).  I'd go in and offer him his paci and just hush him for a minute and then leave the room again (not pick him up). If he fussed again, I'd repeat but I'd let him fuss a little bit longer (maybe 5 minutes).  If he still didn't go down, I'd go back in and pick him up and just rock him in my arms till he was calmed down and that would generally be enough for him to go down for a few hours. GL!!
  • Thanks ladies!  I heard somewhere that you should start CIO at 3 mo. but I think we may hold off for a while now.  Also, I don't think his reflux is bothering him when he sleeps bc he sleeps flat on his back in our bed now and STTN.  My goal is to totally have him transferred to his crib by 6 months so that's why I wanted to start now.  A friend of mine is supposed to bring me her wedge tomorrow, so wish me luck on that :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"