Baby Showers

How many activities?

First off I would like to say that I know what etiquette says about being involved in my own shower and am not looking to be judged. I am having 2 showers one thrown by my mom for family (older crowd/ more traditional) the second by my BFF ( college age crowd/ non-traditional). Originally I only gave input on dates and GL. However, now my Mom is getting divorced (its pretty ugly) and she is looking for more input from me.

That being said I am looking for input on games/ activities people like as well as how many to plan. I would really like to break up opening gifts with other things (I hate being the center of attention)... when you have been to showers as guests does it flow better to mingle-eat-games-presents-leave or is it better for it to all me mixed up?

My mom has a vintage baby bingo game from 2-3 gens ago, so that is definitely getting played. Should we do the whole card at once or spread it out between opening gifts?

I was also thinking about doing the measure the belly game and the one with the tray full of baby stuff.  Are 3 things "to do" enough or should there be another game or other activities like don't say baby (etc that are ongoing)?

TIA for helpful suggestions and not judging my situation, both are greatly appreciated :)

Re: How many activities?

• I wouldn't do more than 2 games and I wouldn't mix it up. I go to showers, enjoy myself, etc  But once we get to the gift opening, I see that as the "lead up to the end".  Maybe take a break for cake, but I wouldn't stop to do another game.  As a guest, I'd be annoyed. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Also, remember that your guests will be socializing among themselves too.  They don't need something to "do" the entire time. 

And a BIG suggestion - have music playing.  Music gets people talking and even during the gift opening, people will chit chat and you may not feel as on the spot.  No music (I went to one tlike this) and I think people felt weird talking when it was SO QUIET.  So ALL EYES were on the mom to be.

~Benjamin Franklin

• Loading the player...
  • I would have never thought of music, thank you!
  • Since it is an older crowd I would definitely have some games (maybe 2 or 3) and the ones you mentioned go pretty fast.  The "don't say baby" game actually is on-going (for when ever you want to end it really).  Since it is a "family" shower people will know each other so they will most likely do a lot of talking.

I would not mix it up.  Just do the mingling, games or eat (which ever order is prefered) and then open gifts.  The gift opening really goes much faster than most people think.  Even though you are the only one sitting there with a gift on your lap they just want to see what it is and the only way you would draw more attention to yourself is to take FOREVER opening it.  lol

• I agree, 2 games at the max. The older crowd might get a kick out of it, younger crowd might be bored.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerhubarb123:

Even though you are the only one sitting there with a gift on your lap they just want to see what it is and the only way you would draw more attention to yourself is to take FOREVER opening it.  lol

SEriously- this!!!!  Don't be "dainty".  Don't worry about ripping the paper.  Open the gift, hold it up, thank the giver, then move on.

I have a friend who was dainty.  SHe also literally stopped opening and held the gift on her lap everytime someone talked.  I get it that she was trying to be polite, but OMG.  It was painful.  She did this for both her wedding and baby shower

Ironically, a mom of a mutual friend was there and she said something to her son (our friend) who said something to the mom-to-be.  She was funny about it, but she was like "I learned a lesson....". 

But really- the gift opening took FOREVER and it was painful.  People just want to see THEIR gift open, and they don't care if the paper is ripped.  And your guests can talk while you open, and you can listen and nod and talk - WHILE you open gifts.... 

~Benjamin Franklin

• My shower was yesterday and we played four games. The first one was done on the way in. Guests needed to guess how many legos were in a container as they picked up their place card and made a nametag. The second was a "name the baby animal" word game. Third was a baby shower word scramble, and the last one was something quick that I can't remember (gahh, pregnancy brain!)

In addition to the games, my hostesses had folks write their names on the envelopes I'll use for my thank you notes and also write advice to me as a FTM. Really nice. :)  One of them also read a poem she wrote for me. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lol, I hate when the gift opener takes time to fold the paper and organize the ribbons 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"