Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Aw man, hitting..?

Oh dear. DS has just started hitting mom. He doesn't do it hard but he looks right at me with this serious face and smacks my arm or leg or top of my head if I'm sitting etc. I grab his hand and say very sternly "do NOT hit" and give him a time out. It's only been happening for a few days so I hope this deters it but man he sure has decided to break out the "terrible 2's" trends lately! :-( 
Sometimes he goes around smacking random things if he's in a bad mood so I try to offer him a pillow to smack instead but he doesn't seem too interested. Anyone else's LO going through a hitting thing (I'm sure I've seen other similar posts heh)? Does it last long??  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Aw man, hitting..?

• Options

We tell DD that "Hitting doesn't help, use words." She hits when she is (obv) frustrated, so we just try to remind her that she needs to take a minute and find the words for what's going on, and if she continues to hit, she goes right to time out.

That has helped most of the time. The only time it doesn't work is when she is really sleepy.. and at those times, she just is not a rational human being. Sleepy 2 year olds? No fun. 

• Options

Yeah I'm not sure why he's hitting me. He isn't frustrated because he's not trying to communicate at the time or anything... it's kind of random. Today we were sitting together on the couch watching his show, and it wasn't even an exciting part of the show or anything, and he just came over, gave me this look and smacked me on the top of my head. Then he had a flailing kicking fit when I told him no hitting, and kicked me (by accident that time), and was screaming so the show went off and he got time out.

His schedule has been a little off lately because DH has been working late and we've been busy with setting up his new room (so maybe he's just feeling all the change in the house with a new baby arriving in December...) but whatever the case I hope he gets through it soon!  I'm trying to be understanding and patient with him but at the same time my pregnant nerves are getting a little worn out

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"