August 2011 Moms
Options

Feels like I missed the swaddle memo...!

We have swaddled DS since day one. I usually use a receiving blanket, but I also have several swaddles. Tonight I have been reading a lot about how well LOs are sleeping when their hands are tucked. So I am wondering if I am doing it properly. When DS was in the NICU and PCN, they swaddled with his hands free, which is what we have been doing; but it seems like most of you tuck the hands and that gets yout LOs to sleep longer?! We are lucky to get a 4 hour stretch at night! Please tell me I haven't wasted a full nights sleep all this time because of the way DS is swaddled!
BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Feels like I missed the swaddle memo...!

• Options
    I credit hands in with lo's sleep for sure.  During naps she flails and wakes herself frequently.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It may make a difference, it may not. You can always try it out and see, I know that for my son, he scratches in his sleep or just hits himself in the face so when we swaddle hands down he sleeps for longer stretches/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd give the hands in swaddle a try. If he sleeps longer, then the swaddled helped or it was coincidence. If not, he's just not ready to sleep longer yet. 

DD sleeps much longer with her arms in, or even just one arm in. With both arms out she flails and wakes herself up.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Does hands down mean arms down by their side? Or simply make sure the hands are not out? The saddler directions look like they put the arms straight down, but I never have.
  • Options
    We put DD's hands on her side. This seems to work really well for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We swaddle DS with his hands in, which helps a little, but when he wants his hands free he will twist and turn to free them, or start crying.  So, we swaddle, but if he throws a fit in the middle of the night, we let him have his hands out.
  • Options

I've always swaddled with her arms down at her sides. If her arms/hands aren't tucked away securely, she will wake herself up. When she gets all swaddled up like that, it is her cue that it is bedtime. She typically goes right to sleep, and has been sleeping 6-10 hours (6ish early on, 10ish now) straight since about a week old. 

I agree with the previous poster - try it and compare the results to what you normally experience. If it helps, keep on doing it!

Good luck... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SAIFW
  • Options
    We will surely try the hands securely tucked tonight to see if this makes a difference! We just got DSs severe reflux and food allergy on the right track, so I am now looking forward to a full nights sleep!
  • Options

imageBnchaNums:
    I credit hands in with lo's sleep for sure.  During naps she flails and wakes herself frequently.

This for us too - we used to keep her hands out, but then tried in with a SwaddleMe blanket and BAM she slept much longer and a lot more sound. Her naps she wakes herself up. I think it really makes a difference if your LO moves their arms or is a grabber. Mine grabs her long hair and pulls...waking her up screaming a lot. Not fun!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"